Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
How to replace Multilink Universal FX
hitishi h. Mar 3, 2016 at 08:02 PM (20:02 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• Dear Sirs

I am trying to replace Multilink to Multilink Universal FX
    Our product is CordFire, development with CodeWarrior
    We are using Multilink with the configuration, it works well

When I replaced Multilink to Multilink Universal FX. it shows "updating firmware" dialog

"interface hardware detected with old firmware updating..."

after for a while, it show next dialog

"firmware Update failed"

probably it cause, at last CodeWarrior shoe error dialog with following message

"Error launching my_project
    ColdFire GDI Protocol Adapter : Can't connect. The Debugger can not connect to the P&E BDC interface or targetted hardware board."

I already installed PEMicro firmware updater and try it
    Current Multilink is working same configuration

Please let me know any suggestion

Comments

• Greetings,

You should try updating the Codewarrior software using my patch. Please use the following FAQ to get the latest patch and read the "readme.txt" file to learn how to patch up your software. See if this resolves your issue with the multilinks:

http://www.pemicro.com/faqs/faq_view.cfm?id=211&menu_id=faqs

Takao Yamada

• Taank you very much for the suggestion

We already applied the patch for our Code Warrior 7.2 configuration. and we utilizing Multilink on Code Warrior 10.6 without the patch.
    I guess the patch is for CW7.2 not for 10, am I right?

for testing, we tried Multilink Universal FX + Code Warrior 7.2(with the suggested patch)
    The result is that it shows error dialog says "ColdFile PE Protocol Adapter : No USB connection found"

FYI. we can see the Multilink Universal FX on device manager.

By the way, can I use Japanese for the communication?

• Greetings,

The patch is only for classic codewarrior. So it will not wok on CW 10.

I want you to download the latest firmware updater utility and change the firmware on your multilink FX to work on ColdFire architecture. Then try using CW10 and CW7.2 and see if you are able to flash program:

http://www.pemicro.com/downloads/download_file.cfm?download_id=346

I prefer to speak in English but I can understand Japanese. Because this is a public forum, I would prefer we communicate in English so that future customers can use this thread to figure out if they have similar problems and use the same methods to resolve their issue.

If you wish to speak in Japanese, please go to Support page -> Support requests and create a new ticket. There, you can write in Japanese and I can reply back. Note, typing in Japanese takes a long time and I will be slower to reply.

Takao Yamada

• Thank you very much for the reply

I have downloaded latest updater.
    The version 5.48.0.2 is same as bundled one we already applied.

Anyway I have uninstalled current updater and installed latest then try something again.
    The result is same as previous
    during start debugging, firmware updating dialog appeares then firmware update failed dialog comes.

FYI
    the process with Firmware Updater utility looks success. I prefer driver "usbmlfxufbdmens.0959". press Update Firmware button. then it shows "Last Result = Success"

the two dialog - during updating on updater and during starting debug looks same. updater one show update firmware filename correctry but firmware name on dialog both original and update filmware are blank on debugger.

Thanks for your help

Thank you

• Greetings,

If you applied the patch correctly, then you should not see the firmware update happening within Codewarrior 7.2. Did you make sure to MERGE the new files into the old files within the PROG folder. I have many customers accidentally replace all files, which is incorrect and not how it was instructed in the readme.txt. Please make sure you have more files than the patch that was found in the FAQ within the PROG folder.

Takao Yamada

• Thank you very much for your effort

we found one problem on our side.
    we used firmware for ColdFire V1, I should use for V234 for our target MCF54455.

We still have following problem

CW7.2
    ColdFire PE ProtocolAdapter : No USB connection found

CW10.6
    Error launching my_application
    ColdFire GDI Protocol Adapter : Can't connect. The Debugger can not connect to the P&E BDC interface or targetted hardware board.

We can see the driver on device manager
    Jungo->USBMultilink 2.0(version12.2.0.0)

We are thinking our board has some problems.
    It is very helpful if you have any suggestion for us.

Thank you

• Greetings,

Please make sure you are using the correct patch from my FAQ. The patch for ColdFire V2/3/4 is different for patch for ColdFire V1.

Takao Yamada

• Greetings,

Can I get an update on this?

Takao Yamada

• Thank you for the confirmation

We are still in trouble.

We have confirmed that
    1. we are using latest firmware "usbmlfxufcfens.0940" for our MCF54455 which is a CordFire V4 architecture.
    2. we are using latest USB driver "Jungo/USB Multilink 2.0 version 12.2.0.0"
    3. checked all pin with oscilloscope. all pin look to work correctly like old Multilink.

then current situation does not change.

CW7.2
    Error dialog appiared. "ColdFire PE ProtocolAdapter : No USB connection found"

CW10.6
    Error dialog appiared.
    "Error launching my_application
    ColdFire GDI Protocol Adapter : Can't connect. The Debugger can not connect to the P&E BDC interface or targetted hardware board."
    It is because we should abort P&E Connection Assistant dialog

We have no idea to ask you anything for next step.
    Our chief HW engineer is going to check the behavior. I hope he will fix the issue or find anything to ask you.

Thank you

• Greetings,

In both CW, I suggest you try slowing down the communication speed:

In CW10.6, go to debug configurations and slow down the debug shift frequency.

In CW7.2, go to the project settings and find Debugger -> Debugger settings. Then find the "Edit Connection.." button and change the "Speed" to 20.

Takao Yamada

• Dear Sirs

At last we are success to connect via Multilink Universal FX by Code Warrior 7.
    But, it is not under our control yet. and we are trying to use with Code Warrior 10.

we are using latest unit_cfz.dll(5.84.0.0). it create file "unitlibnew.ini" after kick the dll, maybe.

it contains following settings usually.

////////////////////

[STARTUP]
    CPUTARGETTYPENAME=
    USE_BDM_INTERFACE_FOR_FREEZE_DETECTION=0
    USE_CYCLONEPRO_RELAYS=1
    CYCLONEPRO_POWEROFFONEXIT=0
    CYCLONEPRO_CURRENTVOLTAGE=255
    CYCLONEPRO_POWERDOWNDELAY=250
    CYCLONEPRO_POWERUPDELAY=250
    MULTILINK_POWERDOWNDELAY=250
    MULTILINK_POWERUPDELAY=1000
    IO_DELAY_CNT=0
    FREQ_FX=4
    FREQ_NORMAL=0
    FREQ_OSJTAG=0
    FREQ_CYCLONE=3
    FREQ_TRACELINK=3
    FREQ_LIGHTNING=1
    FREQ_OPENSDA=0
    RESET_DELAY=0
    PORT=21
    PORT_NAME_STRING=PEM85846B
    INTERFACE_SELECTION=1
    TRACELINK_MAXBUFFERSIZE=1
    SHOWDIALOG=1

////////////////////

this case, debug session should be fail.
    But sometime it generate defferent settings

////////////////////

[STARTUP]
    CPUTARGETTYPENAME=
    USE_BDM_INTERFACE_FOR_FREEZE_DETECTION=0
    USE_CYCLONEPRO_RELAYS=1
    CYCLONEPRO_POWEROFFONEXIT=0
    CYCLONEPRO_CURRENTVOLTAGE=255
    CYCLONEPRO_POWERDOWNDELAY=250
    CYCLONEPRO_POWERUPDELAY=250
    MULTILINK_POWERDOWNDELAY=250
    MULTILINK_POWERUPDELAY=1000
    IO_DELAY_CNT=31
    FREQ_FX=31
    FREQ_NORMAL=31
    FREQ_OSJTAG=31
    FREQ_CYCLONE=31
    FREQ_TRACELINK=31
    FREQ_LIGHTNING=31
    FREQ_OPENSDA=31
    RESET_DELAY=0
    PORT=21
    PORT_NAME_STRING=PEM85846B
    INTERFACE_SELECTION=1
    TRACELINK_MAXBUFFERSIZE=1
    SHOWDIALOG=1

////////////////////

We are success to connect with this settings

We still does not found the way to generate the success settings. but in fact we found overwriting the ini file solved the issue on Code Warrior 7 case.

We have several questions
    1. the solution is correct way?
    2. Do you know how to generate correct ini file? (we guess our configuration has some irregal settings. please suggest us)
    3. How to use the Multilink Universal FX with Code Warrior 10?

Thank you

• Greetings,

Instead of editing the INI files, you should update your Codewarrior to be CW10.6.6 version. You can do that by going to the Help Menu -> Check for Updates. Get update 6 installed and restart Codewarrior. This should allow your codewarrior to work with all P&E hardware.

Another thing to look into is lowering the debug shift frequency. Looking at the changes you made in the INI file, you were lowering the shift frequency. The multilink universal FX is a very fast device, while your target device may be slow. By lowering the debug shift speed, this allows communication to be stable. You can do this by right-clicking on your project -> Debug as -> Debug configurations. Edit your connection and lower the shift to option 31. Once that works, start increasing the speed higher so that you can get a fast yet reliable connection to your target.

Takao Yamada

• Greetings,

Any update on this?

Takao Yamada

• Thank you very much for the confirmation

We found conclete connect steps but still we think it is not perfect.

1.we should apply "31" for Debug Shift Freq. we understand the reason you explained.
    - by the way, CW 10 has UI for the parameter but we cannot find same one on CW7 UI. so we should modify the ini file.

2.initial prosess has deference between Multilink and Multilink Universal FX.
    Multilink
    step 1 initialize our board(it is our board matter)
    step 2 start debugging
    Multilink Universal
    step 1 start debugging (should be fail)
    step 2 initialize our board
    step 3 start debugging

we are thinking out board has some problem then analizing around our board.

we have known a point that out board does not handle Reset pin. we does not have any trouble but it has posibility that FX depend on any action with reset.

thank you

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement