Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Does Multilink require RESET signal for ARM SWD?
Jon G. Feb 17, 2016 at 09:58 AM (09:58 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• The Multilink documentation seems to imply that a nRESET connection is required in addition to SWDIO/SWCLK signals. 

Can someone confirm that Multilink requires nRESET be connected?

I was hoping that Multilink supports target reset via SWD operation so that only 2 pins are required.

Comments

• Greetings,

The RESET line is important because for the ARM device to enter debug mode, the chip needs to be reset. Debug mode is necessary to be able to debug or flash program the device.

More than SWDIO and CLK is necessary. The VDD and GND lines are also necessary for the multilink to know the reference voltages. Is 3V a high signal? Or is it 5V? There would be no way to know unless the multilink knew the VDD of the chip.

Takao Yamada

• Thanks for quick response. Just to be clear Multilink is working with my target Kinetis MCU.  I just want to know if I can free up the RESET pin on my target MCU for use as GPIO.

My understanding is that RESET is optional as long as a) the target SWD (DAP) implementation supports reset by SWD operations, b) the debugger supports it.

Since the Kinetis device supports reset via MDM-AP system reset request, I wanted to see if Multilink supports this.

• Greetings,

Our tools do indeed support MDM-AP system reset, which allows you to free up the RESET line.

Takao Yamada

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement