Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
P&E Serialize Setup Program
Per K. Jan 26, 2016 at 11:00 AM (11:00 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• I'm using the Cyclone pro to load SW into our MCU in production. We now want to write the serial number at the same time. 
    I am using the P&E Serialize Setup Program trying to set up the serial number sequence we use but can't find a way to do it.

This is the serial number sequence i want:
    0x01, 0x02,,,, 0x09, 0x10, 0x11,,,, 0x19, 0x20, 0x21,,, and so on...

Is it possible to do?

Comments

• Greetings,

You realize that '0x' indicates hex numbers. The pattern you are specifying is in decimal.

On the display of the cyclone, it will show either in hex values (0x00 to 0xFF per byte) or in ASCII (0x20 to 0x0x7E).

Double click on either upper bound and it should highlight to yellow. Then you can click on 'numeric' to convert it to ASCII Numeric. Do this for every byte you wish to display a numeric value.

What you should do is have a lower bound of 0x30 (= ascii '0') to upper bound of 0x39 (= ascii '9'). When this gets displayed on the cyclone, this will update to showing decimal values, although you will need to use more bytes to display this value.

Does that make sense to you?

Takao Yamada

• Yes i know it's hex and this is the way our customer have specified it to be.
      It uses every nibble to store the numbers 0-9 and it's called BCD-code (binary coded decimal).
      More information at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary-coded_decimal

• The way you described is not what i want. 
      I want it to work the way described in comment #1 and #2.1. This format is called packed BCD.

Example using 2 bytes:
      Decimal nr 91 shall be stored as binary 0000 0000 1001 0001 (0x0091).
      Decimal nr 291 shall be stored as binary 0000 0010 1001 0001 (0x0291).

Is this possible?

• Greetings,

What you should do within the serialize utility is double click on each byte to highlight it and select the "binary" option. Then for the hex upper bound, just select 0x09. So when you reach 0x09, it will then move up to the next byte and display 0x10. And of course select 0x00 as your lower bounds.

Takao Yamada

• Hi,

The way you describe will give unpacked BCD, i want to have packed BCD.
      As you describe after reaching 0x09, it will move to up the next byte displaying 0x0100 (not 0x10 as wanted).

So problem not solved yet.

• Greetings,

Unfortunately that is the closest we can get to BCD. We do not have the packed BCD that you are wanting.

One thing you can look into is getting our cyclone automated control package. With this, you can program any dynamic data into memory. However, this will involve having to set the next value on your own, instead of it automatically incrementing:
    http://www.pemicro.com/products/product_viewDetails.cfm?product_id=15320101

Takao Yamada

• Greetings,

By the way, you should update your cyclone software and firmware. This new one fixes a problem with using serial numbers on external flash cards:
    http://www.pemicro.com/downloads/download_file.cfm?download_id=291

Takao Yamada

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement