Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Very Long Start Up Time Of xPC564B EB
Sergej S. Dec 2, 2015 at 09:21 AM (09:21 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• Dear Sirs!
    We have a problem with the xPC564B evaluation board: the time between the power up of the board and the start of the first microcontroller instruction is about 250 ms. It is a very long time. How can we get this time shorter?
    Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Greetings,

What hardware are you using? What software are you using? Let's be more specific. Give me more details, like how is the board being powered up? How are you timing the start of the first instruction?

Please note that on PowerPC Nexus, the power needs to stabilize, the chip goes through a bootup phase to determine security and which cores to turn on, etc.

Takao Yamada

• Dear Mr. Yamada,

thank you for your prompt reaction.

We are using the xPC564B evaluation system with Freescale MPC5646C microprocessor. The complete system consists of an
      xPC56XXMB Motherboard (Revision C) and an xPC564xB/C 176LQFP Mini-Module (Revision B) which plugs into the motherboard.

We develop an embedded software for automotive with Green Hills C compiler.

The system is powering up with 13,8V over Center Positive input
      barrel connector. The board can be switched on/off with the manual switch in the left upper corner of the motherboard.

We measure the time delay with an oscilloscope, using the arising voltage on connector as the start point and the setting of the pin PE5 to 1 by the software as the finish point. The software code in between is only 4,5 ms long (72785 ticks using 16 MHz FIRC).

• Greetings,

So if I understand you correctly, the chip has already been flash programmed and you are powering up the board and measuring using a scope. No P&E tools are being used during this measurement, correct?

I think you need to talk with Freescale about this. We do flash programming and debugging, but this delay has to do with how the chip functions. We are not the ones booting up your chip.

Takao Yamada

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement