Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Trim Value is different between PROG and Cyclone Image Creation using Cyclone Pro
Andrew G. Nov 13, 2015 at 03:02 PM (15:02 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• I am programming the Freescale 9s08pa60 micro.  When I use the PROG utility, the Program Trim value option gives me a value of $0068.  When I use the Cyclone Image Creation Utility to download my image into the Cyclone, and program my part through the Start button, I get a Trim Value of $0167.  My software runs properly using the 0068 but does not using the 0167.

I use the same physical Cyclone Pro for both programming sequences.

Why is the downloaded, auto programming cycle calculating a different trim value than the PROG utility, going through the same physical Cyclone Pro.

FYI - Cyclone Pro Rev. C purchased and received within the last 30 days.
    Both programming cycles us the Cyclone relays to provide power to the board.
    Both cycles program successfully without errors.

Comments

• Greetings,

The trim values are split into 2 registers: FTRIM (fine-trim) and TRIM. The 00 and 01 you have mentioned is on the FTRIM, while the 68 and 67 you mention is within the TRIM register. Think of FTRIM like a half-step to the next trim value. So FTRIM=01 and TRIM=67 is half a step lower than FTRIM=00 and TRIM=68.

The cyclone pro and PROG estimates the trim value as closely as possible and we do our best to be within 1 fine-trim value. Meaning, if the goal is to reach 0068, then the calculated trim may end up being either 0167, 0068, or 0168.

This means your application is very sensitive to the clock frequency. But if you must have 0068, what you can do is change your S19 file or change your project to write to the TRIM registers to exactly $0068 instead of having the Cyclone calculate it for you during PROG or standalone programming.

Takao Yamada

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement