Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
USB-ML-CFE Rev.C - ILLEGAL_OP
MuthuKumar J. Oct 1, 2015 at 11:02 AM (11:02 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• I started to use PE USB multilink debugger version USB-ML-CFE Rev.C for the target unit has HC12 processor. When click the run command , it is showing ILLEGAL_OP in status bar. Can suggest the possible conditions to post this ILLEGAL_OP message?

Comments

• Greetings,

You are using the wrong hardware. USB-ML-CFE is for ColdFire targets only. I have no idea how you connected this hardware to a HC12 processor.

If you need suggestions for hardware for your HC12 target, please let me know. You probably will need software suggestions as well.

Takao Yamada

• I am using PE USB Multilink Universal, Rev. C to connect with MC9S12G family processor

• Greetings,

That makes much more sense.

What software are you using?
    Did you make sure to flash program the device first?

Illegal OP indicates that the PC is pointing to a location in code that has no translation from assembly to HC12 instruction. Usually this is when the location has value 0x00 or 0xFF because those do not normally translate to any instruction.

Could you tell me in MUCH more detail what you are trying to do? Has this worked before? Is this your first time? What were you given? What have you tried so far?

Takao Yamada

• Application software in C language using to flash into device and I could able to flash the program into device through PE USB Multilink Universal, Rev. C.

After flashing software into device , the program pointing into main function. When I click the "run" button , after that some time its stopping and showing illegal_op message.

This is first time trying to debug the software using PE USB Multilink Universal. Do you have any standard setup instruction document? or Any other standard setting to be done before start to do debugging.

• Greetings,

Did you compile using GCC? If so, you will most likely have problems getting ICD12Z software to work on paged memory due to global addressing. The way GCC handles PPAGE and extended memory is different from how Freescale's Codewarrior and compiler works. Our implementation is based on Freescale's compiler settings.

What you compiled is still good for flash programming as long as you put the S19 through our LOG2PHY utility to convert the logical format into physical format.

Can you confirm that the Illegal Op is happening within the extended memory?

Takao Yamada

• For software development I am using code warrior IDE. The software compiled then clicked debug button to flash program to target program.  In my code , I could able to execute initialization functions but once entered to main loop , status bar showing RUNNING , data values are not updated in data2.

• Greetings,

Could you create a basic default project with default settings for your device and try debugging it and see if you get problems in the main loop? If this does not work, then something in hardware or firmware is causing the problem.

If the project works, then we know a setting or code in your project is causing the problem. It will help to reduce the potential problems.

Takao Yamada

• While running the program, the ILLEGAL_BP message showing in the status bar. what could be the causes for getting this message.

• The fakebook interrupt set and illegal_bp showing in status bar 

ISR(FakeBootCpu_Interrupt)
    {
    asm(BGND);
    }

• Greetings,

Again, please try a default project first and let me know if it worked. Without this test I cannot know your problem.

What does "asm(BGND)" mean? Assembly instruction BGND?

Takao Yamada

• Greetings,

Any update on this?

Takao Yamada

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement