Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
How to use Multilink Universal with IAR Workbench ARM Compiler
Ben H. Aug 18, 2015 at 12:12 PM (12:12 hours)
Staff: Zahar R.

• Hi to all.  Thank you for reviewing this post.  I am new to both the P&E Multilink Universal (Rev C) and IAR Workbench.

I am testing out Freescale demo code for an ARM M0+. I've built the code successfully as I have a *.srec output file.

I have the PE Multilink USB drivers installed and the Multilink is showing up in Jungo Connectivity devices per Windows 7 Device Manager.
    Device Manager->Jungo Connectivity->USB Multilink 2.0

My question: How does one configure IAR to connect to the Multilink Universal?

I've followed the Freescale/PE Micro guide for configuration, however, IAR is not giving me the option to download the program to the ARM.

I'm using the following parameters:
    (1) From IAR Workbench: I navigate to Project->Options->Debugger->Setup and select PE micro from the Driver list. I leave all other options in Setup off.

(2) Next I navigate to Project->Options->Debugger->PE micro->Setup and select the following parameters:
    P&E Hardware interface type: USB Multilink(FX)
    Reset Delay: 0 ms
    JTAG/SWD speed: 1000 kHz
    Interface: SWD
    Show settings dialog: enabled
    Log Communication: disabled
    USB: Device 1

(3) I select OK and expect the "Download and Debug" button in the IAR toolbar to enable. FAILED - Just sits in a grey'ed out state.

What am I doing wrong?
    Thanks in advance.

-Ben

Freescale Guide Link:
    http://supp.iar.com/FilesPublic/UPDINFO/007040/arm/doc/PEMicroSettings.pdf

Comments

• Forgot to add that I am using IAR Embedded Workbench for ARM, Version 7.40.3.8938, evaluation edition.

• Another note: The firmware on the Multilink Uni is set to Kinetis (thus ARM).

• Hi Ben, 

It sounds like you do have the P&E multilink interface properly set up, and the issue seems to be in the project configuration.

My recommendation would be to start with an example IAR project which you can download from IAR information center by going to Help tab -> Information Center -> Example Projects -> Freescale and download the project for the device you are using.

Once you do that, you will be able to Make the project and then the Download and Debug feature will become available under your Project drop down menu.

Best Regards,
    Zahar
    P&E

• Hi Zahar, 

I imported the example projects per your recommendation.

Unfortunately, the example projects do not support the eval board I am attempting to use.

The board is the Freescale MRB-KW019032NA and I am trying to build and download/debug several of the demo's.

• Hi Ben, 

You can just download and build one of the projects that are available for the sake of experiment, to see if Download and Debug option becomes available once the project is built. If it does, I would recommend to follow up with IAR tech support to see if they can help to properly configure the project for MRB-KW019032NA device you are working with.

Best Regards,
    Zahar
    P&E

• Hi Ben, 

Just want to add one more suggestions. Under IAR you can choose to work with some project as a _lib (library project) or _debug. If you choose a library option from the drop down menu in the top left corner, you will not have an option to download and debug the code on your target. In order to have download and debug feature enabled the project has to be configured to be used in _debug configuration.

Best Regards,
    Zahar
    P&E

• Zahar,

Thanks for the advice. I've since resolved the issue, but your last comment was spot on and the root cause of my issue with the downloading and debugging.

Once I selected _debug from the Workspace drop down I was good to go.

Thanks for your help.
      -Ben

• Excellent, glad that you are up and running. 

Best Regards,
    Zahar
    P&E

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement