Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Error Loading PCP File with MPC5554, Using Cyclone Max
Jesse H. Aug 14, 2015 at 10:16 AM (10:16 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• I am getting the "Error loading .PCP "Freescale_MPC_5554...."" at address 003001B0" when trying to CM (Choose Module) for my MPC5554 using PROGPPCNEXUS, version 5.37.00.00

I am using a Cyclone Max, USB port, firmware version 7.89, with a 3.5 foot Jtag connector. The length of the Jtag obviously limits my communication speed. I am currently trying to use the BDM speed #5 (3.333 MHz).

I have tried dropping to #6 (2.941 MHz) and I do not have any problems. However, here is my REAL problem.

Using the Cyclone Image Creation Utility, I compiled and loaded an image using the same PCP file and shift speed #5. I proceeded to run that image in standalone mode off the Cyclone AND using an application I have written, both ran multiple times successfully with no problems.

I have 3 other cyclones with the exact same programming setup, all of which have run fine at shift speed #5, and even up to #1, without any similar problems. So my question is, how can I not connect to my mPC5554 through PROGPPCNEXUS using shift speed #5 and the EXACT same programming setup that I just used the Cyclone to program in standalone mode and from SAP_Launch?

I am worried something is wrong with this cyclone. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Greetings,

I would have expected slower setting for standalone mode and faster setting for PROG. Either way, we know the problem is due to the increased length of the JTAG connector. You will have to experiment with the best speeds and it is okay to have different speeds between PROG and standalone. There is nothing wrong with your cyclone.

My suggestion is to shield your JTAG connector. There are many ways to do this:

1) Repurpose a Ethernet cable to be your JTAG connector. Cut off each end of the cable and attach JTAG pins one-to-one on each side. Most Ethernet, USB, serial, or parallel cable have shielding.

2) Buy shielding foil. You can buy on Amazon "magnetic shielding foil" that can reduce the electromagnetic noise that is introduced by increasing the length.

3) Reduce the length of the JTAG connector or just use the ribbon cable that came with the cyclone, which is the recommended setup.

Takao Yamada

• I will experiment with speeds.

I am also having a somewhat random set of errors. I am using the EXACT same setup, without a power cycle, touching/moving the jtag connection, or any other variation. However, I occasionally get a 0000000A error on the Cyclone immediately after trying the SAP image and I am also occasionally getting a 00004003 error on the Cyclone as it tries to verify a checksum . After either error, I just rerun the Cyclone and it will proceed to program completely and correctly. I cannot get these to repeat or reappear other than just reprogramming a bunch of times and waiting for it to show up.

I also switched Jtag cables (I have multiple in the 3.5 foot length) AND Cyclones and I have had these same randomish errors appear with both Cyclones and both Jtag cables (those being the only variables I am changing in the test setup).

There is seemingly NO pattern as to when these occur. Any ideas on why this would happen?

Jesse

• Greetings,

The BDM speed is going to be an experimental problem. You need to find a speed that is both fast and reliable. So if you are still getting errors, you need to reduce the speed further and ensure that 100% of the time you get success. That is the speed you should always use. If you try all the speeds and yet get unreliable results, then you have a bigger problem at hand.

Takao Yamada

• I am just asking how would I be getting a 4003 and a 000A, intermittently? They aren't related at all... Could they both be caused by too fast of a BDM speed? I feel like if the BDM speed is too fast and I am programming the same thing every time, then I should never be able to program. It shouldn't work 80% of the time, right?

• Greetings,

The speed you are using and the possibility of electromagnetic interference (EMI) due to the elongated JTAG connector will increase the possibility of errors. This could be the reason why it works 80% of the time. Try using an oscilloscope on the JTAG pins and look at the noise. The faster speeds you use and longer cable you use, you will most likely see noise and problems with rise/fall edge delays. This is a classic noise and frequency lab experiment in a college course.

Any noise could cause any kind of error including failure to calculate the CRC or not being able to program a block of flash.

You need to find the sweet spot with the frequency.

Takao Yamada

• Greetings,

Any update on this? Were you able to get rid of the errors? were you able to figure out if the elongated JTAG connector is the problem?

Takao Yamada

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement