Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Debug MKL16Z64VLH4 with MultiLink
David W. Aug 4, 2015 at 04:17 PM (16:17 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• Hi,

I'm trying to use KDS 3.0 and Multilink Universal to debug a MKL16Z64VLH4 microchip.

When I look at the Debug Configuration->GDB PEMicro Interface Debugging configuration->Debugger Tab this exact device doesn't come up in the popup for "Select Device". The only similar looking device that I can select is KL16Z64M4. I'm not sure what this device is as I can't find any information on it.

Why doesn't the MKL16Z64VLH4 show up in the "Select Device" dialog box?

Is it supported?

Regards,

David

Comments

• Greetings,

The part you are using is indeed a KL16Z64M4. The VLH at the end of your part number is indication of your chip package, which our debugger does not care about. The last number "4" indicates the clock frequency of 4Mhz. The M4 indicates the same thing.

Takao Yamada

• Thank you so much. 

When I try and debug the hardware I get a:

"P&E Connection Assistant" error:

An error occurred while connecting to the interface hardware or target specified in the Launch Configuration Dialog.

Any idea what might be wrong then?

David

• Greetings,

Ensure you have the SWD protocol checked in the launch config dialog. Also try lowering the debug shift frequency option.

Are you using any custom ribbon cables, adapters, or anything unique in your setup? This will most likely interfere communications and may cause errors.

Takao Yamada

• Hi,

Well I changed my adaptor to one that has a better connection. I also verified that the SWD protocol is checked and I lowered the debug shift frequency. In the help dialog box that appears when you click the little Question mark says that the debug shift frequency should be 1/16 the target clock rate. I'm running a 4MHz fast internal reference clock so I set the value to 250 KHz.

When I try and debug I get "Errors exist in the active configuration of project. Proceed with launch?"

How can I figure out what the errors are in the active configuration?

If I proceed then the pegdbserver_console.exe crashes.

David

• Greetings,

I do not know what this error you have brought up. Are you sure your project was able to build fine? Clean and rebuild your project and then try connecting again.

Takao Yamada

• Hi,

I don't either. I perform a clean and rebuild and my project builds without any errors or warnings. Only when I try and debug will it say that there are errors in my active configuration.

Any Hints?

David

• Greetings,

Right-click on your project -> Debug as -> Debug configurations and check to see if your current settings are correct or missing any information. You may want to create a new default project for your chip and compare your debug configurations with the default values.

Takao Yamada

• Hi,

I already was working with a new "Hello World" project that I just created that just toggles a led. I double-checked everything and nothing was wrong.

I decided to download KDS 2.0 to see if it could help get to the bottom of what is going on. I created a new "Hello World" and when I tried to debug it I received a nice new message which indicated it couldn't reach the target system.

I looked at the connections again and figured out that I had to flip the which pin was #1, .... After switching all my 5 jumpers I was able to get debugging to work!!!!

YES!!!

I wish KDS 3.0 would have given me a better error message saying it couldn't reach the target! That would have helped and saved me a lot of time.

Thanks so much for all your help!

David

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement