Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Little Endian Serial Number
Clovis Roberto T. Jul 24, 2015 at 03:47 PM (15:47 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• Hi,

I'm trying to user your 'Serialize' application, however I can't realize how to increment the number considering little endian representation. As the ARM architecture uses this notation I'm wondering how do you manage to use your tools to create sequential serial numbers!

Apparently it increments numbers only considering big endian notation! And there is no point using 8-bit serial numbers (usually, at least).

Thanks!
    Luiz Fernando

Comments

• Greetings,

Once you create the serial file (.ser) open it in a text editor and at the very end put the letter 'L'. This changes the endianness from big to little. Let me know if this solves your issue.

Takao Yamada

• Yes, it solved my issue. Thank you very much! Is this in the help file? I can't open it on my Windows, so I couldn't know! Thanks again.

• Greetings,

I do not think it has been documented yet, so it was wise to ask us in the forums. Now everyone watching the public forums can now find the answer. We will document this into our next revision of the help files.

Takao Yamada

• OK, thank you.

Another problem I just detected is that when the serial is programmed the message shown in the program window always considers the number is in ASCII, which may not be true. (i.e., for serial number 1 it is showing: Programming serial number ,,,, at address ...).

This is big trouble for me because the production guy needs to know which serial number was programmed! And is it not practical to open the serialize program everytime a device is programmed.

Any suggestion here?

Thanks
      Luiz

• Greetings,

Sorry for the delayed response. I had to look into when we switch between ASCII or HEX display. If any of the serial numbers are less than 0x20 or greater than 0x7E, then we display the whole serial string as hex. Otherwise, the hex values are converted over to ASCII display. Does your serial number follow this?

Takao Yamada

• Yes, it does - this is my .ser file content:

0400003FF0FF0000FF0000FF0000FF0100L

And it keeps printing the serial number in "ASCII format". In this case it prints ",,,,".

Maybe I've downloaded a older version of the serialize.exe application?

Thanks!

• Greetings,

Try adding or exchanging a single serial number that is under 0x20 or higher than 0x7E. This should solve your problem.

Takao Yamada

• Greetings,

Any update on this?

Takao Yamada

• Hi!

I've tried with serial number 0001 for example, and it didn't work. I've managed my issue by reading the .ser file and showing the number using BAT utilities!

Maybe I have some older version of the software (I've bought it like one month ago).

Thanks sir.
      Luiz Fernando

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement