Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Norton flags a pemicro file for "Heuristic Virus"??
s. Jul 4, 2015 at 12:52 PM (12:52 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• I apparently got a major Norton upgrade (on 2015.07.03) and after rebooting got (for the first time ever) "We recommend that you remove this threat." message.  The file in question is 5a14fb.msi.  It took a while of searching but I think Cygwin had associated file 5a14fb.msi with the "PE Micro OSBDMOSJTAG Virtual Serial Toolkit.msi" package.

Since I'm not using PE Micro software at the moment I'm just going to remove the PE Micro package. This instead of letting Norton have it's way with just the 5a14fb.msi file.

Has anyone else had this problem?

More Norton Text: "Threat type: Heuristic Virus. Detection of a threat based on malware heuristics." & "Threat name: Compressed threats" & "This file risk is high."

Comments

• That installer is a collection of virtual serial port utilities for OSBDM/OSJTAG boards that include hyperterminal/axilometer and logic level analyzer. 

It is a very old installer. If you are just looking to send/receive data via virtual serial port, I would recommend you update your OSBDM firmware to version 31.xx (relies on build in CDC Windows drivers) and then use a freely available Windows hyperterminal utility such as Tera Term.

Best,

Kevin

• Greetings,

Is this issue resolved?

Takao Yamada

• I haven't reinstalled new PEMicro on the norton scanned computer.  But on another computer scanned by McAfee newly installed PEMicro software is working well.

If you want to close this issue (if that's a thing at pemicro) you can go ahead.

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement