Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
USB Multilink Universal FX duplicating 1st 4 bytes
. Jun 4, 2015 at 01:51 PM (13:51 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• I have been using the USB multilink device to upload and program my target flash with srecord files. I reciently started using the Multilink Universal device to increase the speed of programming. When I uploade the image from my target, erased the target image and reloaded the recently captured image tothe target it didn't work. I did an experiment with a known srecord. I programmed the target, verified that it ran and uploaded it to a temp file. When I compared the new file with the original I discovered that the first 4 bytes were repeated in the new file and every byte after that looked correct but offset by that 4 bytes. When I used my original USB multilink it recorded the target correctly. Is this a known bug and if so is there an upgrade to the firmware that I can download?

Comments

• Greetings,

This is not a known bug. Our latest firmware can always be found in our USB Multilink resource CD:
    http://www.pemicro.com/downloads/download_file.cfm?download_id=346

Are you using our PROG software? If so, go into PROG and use the "show Module" command before you start the upload. Then run upload module and compare the values found in the S19 files. You may need to learn how to read srecord format to understand the binary file in a text editor.

Finally, program this S19 file and use show module again. Does it match? I just want to know where is it failing, before you uploaded the module, or after programming the s19 file.

If you wish to share the S19 files and any screenshots, I suggest you going to the Support page -> Support requests and create a ticket with more details of which chip you are using and which revision of the multilink.

Takao Yamada

• Using the Multilink Universal FX, when I use Show module I see exactly what is uploaded. For example the first line at address 0x20000000:
    20000000 02 5a 00 00 02 5a 00 00 20 00 00 08....
    (notice the first 4 bytes are repeated)

If I change to the USB multilink (my old device)(same target) and do Show module I see:
    20000000 02 5a 00 00 20 00 00 08 7c 60 00 a6...
    After the 02 5a 00 00 which in the FX device is repeated, the data looks to be the same only offset by 4 bytes.

So the show module shows, in advance what the upload captures, but the FX shows the first 4 bytes 2 times.

We use tftp to load the software to the target initially. Then capture the image to an s19 file using the P&E device. Looking at the image through the FX vs the other device show 2 different things.

• Greetings,

So if I understand you correctly, the tftp with the FX is not working as expected.

If you were to program the chip with the FX using the known working S19 file, it programs perfectly fine right?

If that is the case, then you need to look into the tftp process because the hardware, firmware and PROG software works fine when used together.

Takao Yamada

• No, it programs perfectly with the tftp. The software runs, and everything is good. If I then connect the old USB Multilink device and look at the Show module I see 20000000  02  5a  00  00  20  00  00  08 7c  60  00  a6... which is correct. If I were to upload this software I would be able to program the target and it would work.
    If I use the new FX device and look at the Show Module I would see
    20000000 02 5a 00 00 02 5a 00 00 20 00 00 08.... which not correct because 02 5a 00 00 is repeated. Just by swapping out the device I see a different thing, everything else remaining the same.

• Greetings,

Thank you for clarifying the differences. Could you please go to Support Page -> Support requests and create a ticket. I will have our multilink firmware expert look at this problem and hopefully we can resolve this.

Just copy paste your findings from this forum thread and he will pick it up from here.

Takao Yamada

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement