Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
USB Multilink Universal Can't communicate with the target processor
Viet M. May 20, 2015 at 01:35 PM (13:35 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• I am using CodeWarrior 6.2 on windows XP virtual machine.  I installed driver 11.7.0.0 and upgrade firmware to 9.35 for USB Multilink 2.0.  I do see both green and yellow light but get the error "Can't communicate with the target processor".  I get odd message on the command window "CYCLONE MAX detected - Flash Version 9.35", but I am using USB Multilink device.  It is still working fine with USB-ML-12E. What do I need to do?
    Thank you

Comments

• Greetings,

You need the patch from this FAQ I created:
    http://www.pemicro.com/faqs/faq_view.cfm?id=211

Let me know if this fixes your problem.
    Also note that you need the USB drivers installed on both the host and your virtual machine.

Takao Yamada

• Hello,
    I have tried the patch before posting and it doesn't work. With the patch apply, I got error connecting to P&E device. CodeWarrior debugger does recognize the USB Multilink device but fail to connect to HCS08 processor. On both Windows 7 and virtual machine, I see USB Multilink 2.0 with 11.7.0.0 driver version. I wonder why the command window say "CYCLONE MAX detected". When I plugin my USB-ML-12E, it is saying "USB HCS08/HCS12 Multilink detected", then I able to connect and flash without any problem.

• Greetings,

I tested my patch very extensively on CW6.3 so I know it works. See if you can update your Codewarrior to version 6.3 instead of 6.2 and reapply the patch. See if that makes a difference.

Are you sure your multilink is in working condition? You have not indicated if you have gotten this setup working before.

Takao Yamada

• This is a branch new multilink.  My company just purchased 4 of them 4 days ago.  Can you explain the message "CYCLONE MAX detected"?

• Greetings,

I have no idea why you are seeing this. When I use CW6.3 I do not see "Cyclone Max" as detected. I see "P&E Interface detected - Flash version 9.35". I am able to update the firmware, flash program, and debug with no problems.

Again, please update your Codewarrior to v6.3 and make sure the patch is applied correctly.

Takao Yamada

• Greetings,
    I just upgrade to CW6.3 and apply the patch. The patch is working but I am unable to flash. I get "ERROR 18 during programming" error message now. I can debug now

• Greetings,

I am glad now things are looking better. Error 18 is a bit difficult to debug so usually my first step is to create a brand new project for your chip and flash/debug the default project with no changes to settings. If this works, then something in your project is causing this problem. If the default project does not work, then we may have a hardware issue.

Takao Yamada

• I am able to use USB-ML-12E to flash using the same project and board.  Do I need to do anything special for the Universal? I connect both programmer and choose the port.  I am able to flash with the ML-12E but can't on the ML Univeral.  I can debug on both devices.

• Greeting Takao,
    I got a bad Multilink Universal unit. I get a different ML and that is working. It is a good patch for CW6.3. Thank you for the quick reply. Another question, can I send back the broken ML Universal and what is the RMA process?
    Thx

• Greetings,

Before sending out any units, I usually have the customer run a few diagnostics.

1) Replace the ribbon cable. You would be surprised how often this is the problem and such an easy fix.

2) Make sure the ribbon cable is connected correctly. Are you sure the cable is not attached in reverse?

3) Make sure you are not using any USB hubs, unless it is externally powered USB hub. Try replacing the USB cable.

If you do these tests and still find the unit is bad, then please go to Support Requests -> Support ticket and request for an RMA ticket. Our RMA engineer will handle your request.

Takao Yamada

• Greetings,

Any update on this?

Takao Yamada

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement