Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Programming Algorithm to use for freescale MKE02Z64VLD4
Arti D. May 12, 2015 at 03:20 PM (15:20 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• Hello,

I'm using a multilink universal for programming a freescale MKE02Z64VLD4.

While trying to setup the Multilink Universal it prompted to select the "Programming Algorithm to Use!".
    So I tried to select FReescale-> KEx -> freescale_ke02z64m4_pflash_eeprom.arp

After that in status window I get following Error

Loading programming algorithm ...
    "Error! Enabling module timed out.
    Error enabling module just selected

I want to understand what does this alogrithm file do?? Does this processor requires different *.arp file.

Any idea how to resolve this.

Thanks!
    AD

Comments

• Greetings,

First, make sure your multilink universal is set to the correct firmware. Use the latest firmware updater utility and ensure that the firmware is set to Kinetis:
    http://www.pemicro.com/downloads/download_file.cfm?download_id=346

The within the connection manager, make sure that SWD is selected and maybe try lowering the debug shift frequency.

1) Are you using any custom ribbon cables, adapters, external watchdog, or other unique hardware?

2) What software are you using? What version are you using?

3) Have you ever gotten the multilink universal to work before? Has the chip worked in the past?

Takao Yamada

• Hello Takao,

I update the software utility files,
      PROGACMP Programmer for ARM Devices Version 5.21.00.00
      I am using Windows 7 on my laptop.

I have selected SWD and also I tried lowering the debug shift frequency. But still its not working.

1) NO, I am not using any custom ribbon cables, adapters, external watchdog, or other unique hardware?

2) PROGACMP Programmer for ARM Devices Version 5.21.00.00

3) This is first attempt to program the target. And also first time to use multilink.

How should I proceed I am not able to get *.arp to load on target board.

Thanks,
      Arti

• Greetings,

In the connection manager, could you change your device selection to be KE02Z64M2, instead of the M4. This indicates the chip's frequency between 2MHz or 4Mhz. It is possible that the chip you are using is actually the 2Mhz flavor instead. See if this makes a difference.

Takao Yamada

• Hello Takao,

I tried changing the device selection to KE02Z64M2 but still its not working.

Is this the correct file to use??? What does this file do??

freescale_ke02z64m2_pflash_eeprom.arp for KE02Z64M2

freescale_ke02z64m4_pflash_eeprom.arp for KE02Z64M4

In error "module" here means "Target hardware board"????

Any other suggestion to communicate the Multilink with target board.

Thanks,
    Arti

• Greetings,

The error is indicating the algorithm selected attempted to load onto the chip's RAM and failed to do so. Usually this is a indication of a watchdog or something that is causing a reset signal.

Do you have a reset circuitry on your board's design? Or is it a direct connection from P&E's reset line to the chip's reset pin?

Takao Yamada

• There is no circuitry on the reset pin on our board. It is a direct connection.

Anything else ??

Thanks a lot for your quick response.

• Greetings,

Do you have a schematic of your board?

If so, I want you to create a support ticket by going through the Support page -> support ticket and attach the schematic for us to look at.

I will also assign the ticket to a Kinetis expert for them to further help you with this issue.

Takao Yamada

• Hello Takao,

SO we did quick test connecting oscilloscope. Reset pin is constantly toggling on Processor when I open PROGACMP Programmer to program the algorithm and select "CONNECT" the rest pins go high. Clock seems to be running normal, no change on Crystal.

Weird thing while trying this we observed that randomly once on "PROGACMP Programmer" status window displayed that Loading programming algorithm Done. Does that mean it downloaded *.arp file on target????

And now again I tried repeating same-thing its giving me same previous error.

Also another question raised how do I download application file on target. We are using KEIL compiler and it generated *.axf file.

Can you flash any light on this one.....
    Thanks!

• Greetings,

The constant toggling is the watchdog. The moment you click connect the P&E interface will stop the watchdog from resetting your chip. This is expected behavior.

What you hope to get is the algorithm to be loaded successfully with "done". But you need to continuously check the reset line when this is happening. The algorithm is being loaded into RAM and if there is any reset then RAM is cleared and no algorithm will be loaded. This is what I think is happening and why enabling of the module is unsuccessful. This is why I asked if you have an external watchdog, which will not be stopped by P&E's interface. Or a system bus chip connected onto the Qorivva chip can cause problems as well.

Can KEIL compiler generate an ELF file? This is the typical file used to flash program and debug. But AXF should work but there will be no debugging information in your file.

Takao Yamada

• Thanks a lot !
    Will monitor the Reset pin , while I am downloading the algorithm.

Keil Compiler can generate AXF & HEX file. What option do I select on "PROGACMP Programmer" to download AXF & HEX file on target board after downloading algorithm(ARP file) successfully.

I also have Freedom board which I used to get started. I developed the code and downloaded on Freedom board thru OpenSDA which requires bootloader and than I flashed Hex or Axf file through keil compiler/programmer.

I had question do I need bootloader separate or the algorithm( ARP file) takes care of it while flashing through "PROGACMP Programmer"

Thanks,
    Arti

• Greetings,

The bootloader was only needed for the OpenSDA. The multilink universal does not need any special loading.

Within PROGACMP, you need to load the algorithm. Then use the command "SS: Specify Object File" to specify the Hex or AXF file you are using.

Please read the manual for PROGACMP. It will answer almost all of your questions. The manual can be found in the same installed directory.

Takao Yamada

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement