Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
search inside all forums
Image Creation Utility fails to create image from .elf file
James P. May 5, 2015 at 08:07 PM (20:07 hours)
Staff: Johnny N.

• I am attempting to create and download an image to my Cyclone for ARM devices. When I attempt to store my image to either the cyclone or to a file I get an Error 18.

I used the script wizard to setup my script.

I have created my executable using Freescale's Kinetis Design Studio.

The output file from KDS is a .elf file. My processor is a MK24FN1M0VLQ12.

Within the script wizard I have attempted to use both the freescale_k24fn1m0m12_1x32x256k_pflash.asp and freescale_k24fn1m0m12ws_1x32x256k_pflash.asp

Neither work.

It appears that Image Creation Utility is have issues with the .elf file.
    I was able to get an image to load when I used an .srec file but I would rather not use this because I also need a .bin file output from KDS and KDS will only build one or the other. (that's .bin or .src)

Is there a way to use a .elf file as an input into Image Creation Utility?

Comments

• Hi Johnny,

Yes, I have been getting an error 18 when attempting to creeate an image. This is the first time that I have attempted to use the Image Creation Utility with Cyclone for ARM to create an image from Freescale's Kinetis Design Studio (KDS). So no, creating an image using a .elf file produced by KDS has never worked.

I have had no trouble using these .elf files with our PE Micro Multilink Universal FX.

• The problem was that the Image Creation Utility only understands dwarf-2 format when processing a .elf file. KDS does not use Dwarf2 debug format by default. The user must change the debug format in the project properties under C/C++ Build, Settings -> Debug format to dwarf-2 for the main project and any library projects. Once this is done cleaning and rebuilding everything should produce a .elf file that can be used to create an image using the Image Creation Utility.

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2018 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement