Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Virtual Machine & USB Multilink Interfase & Windows 8,1
Eugenio M. Apr 13, 2015 at 10:35 PM (22:35 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• Hi 
    In a Oracle VM-WinXP- with Win 8.1 64bits host PC I installed CodeWarrior 6.3 Classic SE
    I can edit and debug but USB Multilink interface does not work. True-Time software does not recognize the Multilink interface. Undetected message appears on the screen.
    I already try installing P&E driver on the host operating system-Win8.1- and on the virtual machine -WinXP- too.
    I try different combinations without success.
    Is there a procedure for the installation of P&E driver?
    What should be the steps for installation of P&E driver?
    Do I have to install P&E driver only on the host or only on the virtual machine.

The same installation in other PC with Win 7 worked properly.
    Are there any incompatibility with Win8.1
    Best Regards
    Eugenio

Comments

• Greetings,

You should try installing the patch I have created to get CW classic to work on newer operating systems:
    http://www.pemicro.com/faqs/faq_view.cfm?id=211

You really do not need to use a virtual machine to get CW to work on your Windows 8.1 64bit machine. Try following this guy's steps:
    https://community.freescale.com/message/310577#310577

Takao Yamada

• Takao
    Thanks for your answer

Before attempting to install directly into host Win8.1 I want to see if I can install CW Classic in a Virtual Machine.

I describe you the steps I did to install P&E driver.

1-After install Win 8.1 I installed the latest driver from P&E website and also install the patch you recommended.
    2-When I connect USB Multilink device screen message appear
    Jungo Connectivity
    USB Multilink 2.0
    WinDriver
    and blue led lights
    3-When I open the virtual machine in USB devices
    appear USB Sistem PE Microcoputer ML 12 RevC (200) option
    When I choose the option simultaneously in the host
    a USB device not recognized message appear
    If I try again the next message appear in VM screen

Fail to connect USB P&E Microcomputer Systems USB-ML-12 Rev C [0200] to the Virtual Machine
    USB device 'P&E Microcomputer Systems USB-ML-12 Rev C' with UUID {7d99adba-3fc4-4842-b1d2-f9bf4dcf0f42}
    is busy with a previous request. Please try again later.

My main question is if I only have to install P&E driver on the host or also have to install in the virtual machine.

Best Regards
    Eugenio

• Greetings,

You need to install the drivers on both the host and the virtual machine. Sorry that I did not mention that earlier.

Takao Yamada

• Takao

I'm still trying to use CW6.3 classic with WIN8.1
    To do this two options emerged
    1- Install CW directly on the host
    2-Using a virtual machine

I try to install CW directly into the host by following the steps indicated in link that you suggested before.
    I could do with Win 7 32b but I had no success with WIN 8.1 although in differents videos in the web show that this is possible.

With respect to the second option is the same
    with WIN 7 work ok but I also had no success with WIN 8.1
    I did a pdf document comparing step by step procedure on both OS to show the differences but I just realized that I can not attach it here.
    How I can send you the document?
    May be you can detect where is the error.
    I have not much experience with Win8, maybe it is necessary to install some files to get Win8 work as Win7.
    I have installed Win7 32bit in a notebook and Win8.1 64bit in a desktop PC

Best Regards
    Eugenio

• Greetings,

Thank you for the document. I took a look at it and I want you to try one more thing. On the Windows 8.1, after moving your multilink connection over to the virtual machine, try unplugging and replugging the multilink. This will make the multilink connect to the virtual machine directly each time instead of the host machine having to make the transfer over. See if this make the multilink show up.

We use VirtualBox and VMware tools here at P&E as well and we have not seen this problem before. I will look into trying to replicate this problem here.

Takao Yamada

• Takao
    In the next link I improve the previous document.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7zy88ZQImxEdDFiVVk2TG1HZEE/view?usp=sharing

I think in steps 3 and 4 is what you asked me.

At this time my opinion is that WIN8 donĀ“t deliver the USB port to the virtual machine. In WIN8 USB Multilink 2.0 never go from PC HOST to Virtual Machine.

I do not know if there is a problem with Win8 or if it is necessary to change the version of the virtual machine.

With WIN7 I could install CW6.3 directly, which I could not do with Win8

Are you using Win8 or WIN7?
    Best Regard
    Eugenio

• Greetings,

I am personally using Windows 7 with VMware virtual machines.

Could you run a quick test which is to get a thumb drive to switch from PC host to virtual machine on your computer? If this is a problem even on a simple thumb drive then we know this is an issue with the virtual machine. This would rule out the P&E device as the only problem.

If the thumb drive works but P&E interface does not, then I will have to setup a test machine with Win 8 here with virtual box and try to replicate this problem.

Takao Yamada

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement