Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Not able to Reset Freescale Kinetis K22 after programming with a Multilink Universal with PROGACMP
. Apr 10, 2015 at 05:49 PM (17:49 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• So I am running into an issue when trying to flash a Kinetis K22 with a Multilink Universal (Rev B) while using PROGACMP 5.04.00.00.

So I can connect and flash the unit fine, however the problem arises afterwards. So I am done and I want to disconnect the Multilink and continue on to use what I've programmed. However, If I try to reset the unit either by issuing the "Reset Chip" command OR physically pull the reset pin to ground, then the device doesn't reset. I can only reset the device by fully power cycling it. Since there is a large cap behind it, this can take a while.

What is going on here? Is there a relatively easy fix?

I know it is not the connected hardware, as I can do the exact same thing with a different debug tool successfully, but we want to go into production, and this debug tool is not ideal for production programming.

Comments

• Greetings,

The RESET command in our software is slightly misleading. What it does is it resets your target and re-enters background debug mode. This holds your target from running your code. The multilink is holding the chip in debug mode even if you pull the reset pin to GND.

Since the multilink universal has no control over power, you must disconnect the multilink and power cycle your target manually. If you had our multilink universal FX which can control power, then you simply power cycle the target.

We are working with the design team to improve this mechanism better to remove confusion.

Takao Yamada

• Greetings, thanks for the Reply.

So I did some experimenting and digging, but I do not have the same issue with a Segger J-Link. I also found in my K22 reference manual that it could be the Core Hold Reset Bit in the MDM-AP. Could this be affected by the .ARP or is this hardware based?

The biggest issue is as we are going into manufacturing, we have a large capacitor whose job it is to keep the chip alive long after power fails. We cannot quickly discharge the cap, so if this cap is still charged going into the process, we have to drain it to continue on with testing, independent of if the programmer supplies power, which is unacceptable to the manufacturing team.

• Greetings,

I would like to suggest something new. Within your PROG folder, you will find the CPROG software. This is a command line flash programming tool. This can help automate the process of flash programming. But it also has a feature called RESET and GO. This is not a power cycle reset, but just toggling of the RESET and reenter background again. But this time you can call GO command which will set the PC to the reset vector and resume.

You should read the CPROG manual on how to implement the commands and settings to your liking. Let me know if you have any questions.

Takao Yamada

• Greetings,

Were you able to play around with CPROG? Does it fit your needs?

Takao Yamada

• Greetings, we approached you through different channels and you resolved it that way.

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement