Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Cyclone Pro F/W upgrade error issue. (Can't create SAP file)
hiroki m. Mar 26, 2015 at 09:17 AM (09:17 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• Dear All

I want to solve the following problem.
    Would you tell me if you have some information to solve the problem?

Programming environment
    Cyclone Pro : Ver.8.15b
    Hardware C
    FPGA Ver.1.6
    Cyclone Image Creation Utility Ver.3.60
    Device : FSL MC9S08QG8
    PC : Win XP

I was able to create an SAP image file without any problems until the other day. ( firmware update did not occur)

But the next day, when I created a SAP image file again using Cyclone Image Creation Utility, Cyclone's firmware update had been started suddenly.

<update dialog box>
    Updating firmware of P&E Interface...
    Interface hardware detected with old firmware.
    Updating...(Please Wait)
    Current Firmware : 8.15
    Update Firmware : 8.60
    Programming $000A3400

Update was failed, and an error screen that asks retry the update.
    <Warning dialog box>
    Failed to program into secondary region, try again.
    Firmware update failed. Retry?

If clicked YES, repeat update ⇔ error
    If clicked NO, return to the state that before create the SAP image file.

So I can't create an SAP image file.

If possible, I don't want to update the firmware because it used in mass production.
    ( I had been able to programming without any problems with the current version firmware untill the other day.)

I want to stop the Automatically update the firmware,
    Is there any good way?

Best Regards
    Hiroki.M

Comments

• Greetings,

Is the firmware on the cyclone pro still good? A failure to firmware update is not a good sign.

We suggest customers to always get the latest firmware because it has bug fixes, new features, and even faster programming.

The only reason a firmware update will occur is if your cyclone has an old firmware and you downloaded the latest version of the cyclone pro software package. Did you install a new cyclone software? Or is your cyclone that is failing to update a very old cyclone?

I need to let you know that trying to use an old firmware with new Cyclone pro software may not work. There may be bug fixes and features that are missing in your cyclone's firmware and not be able to create an image.

There is a way to prevent firmware updating, but again I must caution that firmware updating is a good thing if you want to make sure your cyclone has the latest bug fixes. What you should do is look for the cyclone's firmware within the software package. Go into your cyclone pro directory and look for
    CycloneProEn2.xxx. Move this file outside of this directory, but do not delete it.

Takao Yamada

• Dear Yamada san

Thank you for quick support.

I'm sorry, it is corrected in yesterday of content one.
    Creation of SAP files and programming have implemented our factory side.

As you pointed out, normally it should be updated to the latest version of the firmware.
    I also understand this point.

However, now it is already in a situation in mass production, so do not know the impact of case I have updated the firmware,
    It is difficult to update the firmware immediately.

If possible, I want to change programming environment by the flow such as follows.
    1.build a environment separately in which I installed the latest firmware,
    2.Make sure that no problem,
    3.change programming environment

But we can't this because we don't have another Cyclone Pro.

When we have an update to the latest firmware, it is probably a problem I think does not occur,
    but If occured, is not possible to return the firmware to the original?

Cyclone Pro itself is not particularly change seen.
    What is displayed on the LCD are as follows.
    Cyclone Pro: Ver.8.15b
    Hardware C
    FPGA Ver.1.6

> The only reason a firmware update will occur is if your cyclone has an old firmware
    > and you downloaded the latest version of the cyclone pro software package.
    > Did you install a new cyclone software? Or is your cyclone that is failing to
    > update a very old cyclone?

I confirmed factory side that they downloaded or installed latest update firmware.
    But factory side does not it.
    They said one day suddenly started to update the firmware.

So, Do you have the firmware is downloaded automatically?

Hasten we will try the movement of the CycloneProEn2.xxx file by factory side.

Best Regards
    Hiroki.M

• Greetings,

I highly suggest you do the following:
    1) Buy another cyclone pro, because if this one you have fails you are going to hold up production for a long time.

2) Go ahead and move the cyclone firmware from the cyclone directory as I have instructed in my previous post.

3) I have no idea why your cyclone will not firmware update, so you will need to monitor this issue. Maybe label your cyclone that it has issues firmware updating so that you remember. If you ever get new problems with this cyclone, do not rely on it anymore. You should get it repaired and have the latest firmware. Firmware version 8.15 is very old.

Takao Yamada

• Dear Yamada san

Thank you for quick support.

We moved the "CycloneProEn2.8.60." file and we tried programming in our factory side, but result was NG.
    1)Firmware update did not occur.
    ( Cyclone Image Creation Utility did not occur the update error )
    2)SAP data was not transferred to the Cyclone Pro.
    3)Then,behavior of the Cyclone Pro was as follows.
    Initial state (stand-by)

All LED flashed for a moment

Returned to the initial state immediately

So, we will install the latest version of the firmware and will try programming.
    ( Single File Installation for Cyclone Pro F/W ver.8.63 )

Best Regards
    Hiroki.M

• Greetings,

Any update on this? Were you able to firmware update the unit?

Takao Yamada

• Dear Yamada san

Sorry for late reply.

We have updated to the latest firmware, and tried the program again.
    ( Single File Installation for Cyclone Pro F/W ver.8.63 )

However, result was NG.

It was the same result as before updating the firmware.

If there is a CycloneProEn2.8xx, firmware update had been started and error occurred.
    If there is no CycloneProEn2.8xx (file moved), programming data has not been transferred.

What failure of CyclonePro side at this problem?

Best Regards
    Hiroki.M

• Greetings,

I think your cyclone pro has problems and I suggest getting it repaired. I have never seen a case where a cyclone consistently fails to firmware update. You should try getting a new cyclone and see if you run into issues.

If you wish to send us your cyclone pro for analysis and repair, please create a support ticket in Support Page -> Support Requests.

Takao Yamada

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement