Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Issue upgrading firmware on Cyclone Pro
Brian B. Mar 23, 2015 at 04:47 PM (16:47 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• I recently upgrade firmware on the cyclone pro from 8.53-1.6 to the latest version and upgraded the program version from 3.51 to 3.61.  The .SAP files I create are no longer working on cyclones with the old 8.53-1.6 firmware.  When I upgrade the cyclones to the latest firmware, the programming time has increased and I am getting retries much more often.

1. What changed in the latest firmware that could be causing these issues?
    2. Is it possible to roll back to 8.53-1.6 on the cyclones and roll my program back to 3.51?

Thanks,
    Brian

Comments

• Greetings,

1. For me to help you, you need to give me more information. What chip are you are programming? Have you tried creating a new image using the latest software that came with the new firmware? Do you know the exact commands and settings that were used in the older image?

2. We do not recommend firmware downgrade because this can cause your cyclone to brick. Not only is the internal flash being updated, but there is an FPGA in there that cannot be downgraded. When the FPGA and internal flash is not compatible, the cyclone will brick. It is better to figure out the issue with the cyclone.

Takao Yamada

• Takao Yamada,

We are programming Freescale coldfire version1 micro MCF51AC256BCFGE. When the .SAP image is created with program 3.61 it will not program a board with the 8.53-1.6 firmware installed in the cyclone. We then upgraded the cyclone to firmware 8.63-1.6 with the same exact settings, we are still getting these issues where it times out with an $0000007 error code after 3 retries. All the settings have been the same.

We have seen in the past where the delay times are critical, I have the power down and power up delay at 250ms. The after reset delay is 200ms. I am considering increasing the after reset delay to 250ms.

• Greetings,

The reset delays are very important if your board has reset drivers that needs time to reset the whole system before the Cyclone continues with other executions. This would explain the error $0007, which indicates failure to enter background mode.

The reason for old images to fail on new cyclone firmware is if a new feature or bugfix is missing from the old images. This can cause incompatibility and it is best to recreate the image to work with the latest software and firmware. However there should be no decrease in performance due to these changes.

Let us first fix this error $0007 first, and then look into the performance.

Takao Yamada

• Takao Yamada,

We have a programming station with 2 cyclones. On one cyclone we are working perfectly with the new firmware. On the second cyclone we get a $0006 error. We can reset the cyclone and get a few successful programs, than we get this error again. What is typically the root cause of the $0006 error?

• Greetings,

Error $0006 indicates failure to unsecure the chip.

Do you know if you have secured the chip in previous programming? This error is quite rare because our tools will auto unsecure the chip when using standalone programming.

From my experience, failure to unsecure means the communication between P&E interface and chip was cut off during unsecure procedure. This could mean an external reset signal.

To help debug this problem, try using the PROG for CFV1 software that comes with your cyclone pro software package and see if you are able to reconnect to these chips. You may want to monitor the RESET line to see if there are external reset from your reset driver.

Takao Yamada

• Greetings,

Any update on this?

Takao Yamada

• Issue has been resolved.  Ended up having to check the following boxes 'Drive RESET signal LOW before and after SAP operations'  & 'Power off target after SAP operations are complete' & 'Drive BKGD signal LOW before and after SAP operations'.

Checking those boxes solved the issue, thanks for your help.

-Brian

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement