Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Programming KL26Z128 Kinetis using Cyclone MAX
Thiago W. Feb 3, 2015 at 09:01 AM (09:01 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• Reading another topic:  http://www.pemicro.com/forums/forum.cfm?forum_topic_id=4099&forum_id=7#c8346

I discover that Cyclone Max can't provide power to Kinetis on PIN 1 (TVCC), is it truth?

I have the same problem, I bought a Cyclone Max to record kinetis firmwares and I couldn't flash because this problem. The strange is that this information is not written in any place of manuals of Cyclone Max or Cyclone for ARM, I saw this information the first time in that topic.

What is the solution for record my Kinetis without power using Cyclone Max? Why Can I record if I use that adapter ( http://www.pemicro.com/products/product_viewDetails.cfm?product_id=15320149) ?

Comments

• Greetings,

It is true that the Cyclone max cannot provide power to your target. Only the Cyclone for ARM Devices and Tracelink can provide power to the target for ARM devices.

The adapter only switches between using JTAG or SWD protocol.

For Cyclone max, you must power your target externally. There is no workaround to this. Did you purchase the cyclone max recently?

Takao Yamada

• Yes, I received my Cyclone Max yesterday and I realize that I wouldn't use more.

• What is the function of the TVCC PIN1 ?

• Greetings,

The TVCC pin for the Cyclone max is needed as the reference voltage. Without it, the cyclone does not know whether 3V is a high signal or a bad reading for a 5V part. So this signal is very important for the cyclone to understand the other signals.

Where did you incorrectly learn that the cyclone max provides power to the target? I want to clear up any confusion that may have caused you and other customers about this.

If you must have a cyclone that provides power to the target, you should create a support request ticket and see if you could do an exchange for the Cyclone for ARM devices. Normally we do not take returns or exchanges. This is done on a case by case situation. Customers really should do their research before buying our hardware.

Takao Yamada

• OK, if I understand, can I connect the TVCC PIN1  to an 3.3 V external power?

• Greetings,

TVCC should be the voltage of your chip. Since your chip needs to be powered up anyways, you should connect this to the same rail as the chip's power source.

Takao Yamada

• Using external supply I can't record the firmware too. I received the #000007
      error.

• My device has 6 PIN using SWD with a cable jumped to record the firmwares, therefore I am not using the default cables provided by PEM MICRO

PIN1 = 3V3 - Connected with VCC PIN 1 on Cyclone
    PIN2 = SWD_DIO - Connected with PIN 5 and PIN 7 on Cyclone
    PIN3 = RESET - Connect with PIN 15 on Cyclone
    PIN4 = SWD_CLK - Connect with PIN 9 on Cyclone
    PIN5 = GND - Connected with PIN 8 on Cyclone
    PIN6 = Not connected

Using this configuration I can record using Multilink with external power supply, but using Cyclone with power supply I receive #0000007 error, what could be the problem in this situation?

• Greetings,

Are you using the SWD/JTAG adapter board with your setup? The Multilink does not need this adapter because it is already setup for SWD or JTAG. But with the cyclone max, you need to start with the 20 pin standard ARM Nexus on Port B which needs to be converted to JTAG or SWD.

If you are using the adapter, make sure to have the SWD jumper on the adapter board if you plan on using SWD.

Takao Yamada

• No, I'm not using SWD/JTAG adapter, I did jumpers with wires because we reduced the size of the board and used my own personal 6 pin 0.1 in header to save space. 

Why do I need to use adapter if my connector use 0.1 inch. Can I do a jumper from 20 pin 0.1 inch header (Cyclone) to my own 6 pin 0.1 header, can I?

• Greetings,

If you are not using the adapter, then you need to understand that the signals are different.

PORT B on Cyclone:
    TVCC X X NC
    #TRST X X GND
    TDI X X GND
    TMS/SWD_DIO X X GND
    TCK/SWD_CLK X X GND
    NC X X GND
    TDO X X GND
    #RESET X X GND
    NC X X GND
    NC X X GND

As you can see, this is very different from JTAG or SWD. Please read the Cyclone Max manual and you would find all the information I have explained so far.

Takao Yamada

• Port B?   I thought that I must use PORT E.

Ok, I'll analyse all pins again.

• Greetings,

Sorry, my mistake, it is port E.

Takao Yamada

• In Cyclone Image Creation Utility there is a message saying to connect Pin 5 and Pin7 together as SWDIO, is it correct?

• Greetings,

1) What version of the image creation utility are you using?

2) What Target architecture did you specify and what device have you selected?

3) Which algorithm have you selected?

4) Where are you seeing this message about connecting pin 5 and 7?

Takao Yamada

• 1) I'm using 3.59 version

2) My target architecture is Kinetis ARM , my device is Freescale kinetis kl26z128

3) The algorithm selected is freescale_kl26z128m4_1x32x32k_pflash.arp

4) When I select this configs and mark comunication mode: swd with 20 pin 0.1 inch header in Cyclone Max & Target Specific Panel I see the message: "For Cyclone Max, Pin 5 and Pin 7 must be connected together as SWDIO"

• Greetings,

You are correct that since you need to use SWD, then you need to short pin 5 and 7 for it to work. This is basically what is happening on the JTAG/SWD adapter.

Takao Yamada

• Unfortunattely I'm receiving error 0000007 yet.

• Greetings,

At this point, you need to start use an oscilloscope and checking your signals and connections.

Another thing I would advise is lowering your debug shift speed, a setting found in your image creation utility.

If you have a reset driver/circuitry, you should also add a reset delay in your image, another setting in the utility.

If you have a schematic of your setup and are willing to share, you should create a support request ticket in our support page and an engineer can help you out. We need to know anything connecting between the cyclone and the chip. Any external watchdogs, custom wiring, adapters, reset circuitry, and other unique setup.

Takao Yamada

• Ok, I'll verify and if necessary open a request ticket.

For the moment, is it possible receive the schematic of Cyclone Max JTAG/SWD adapter for verify the pins?

• Greetings,

I can only send and receive files through the support ticket system. Please open a ticket and request for the schematic.

Takao Yamada

• I could record my firmware now!    :)

I discover the problem. The problem is your documentation.

I followed the trails and discover that your software and documentation recommend short pin 5 and 7 (Coment 11) but the PIN 5 is wrong on documentation, the correct PIN is the PIN 13 for using SWD.

Please correct your manual and software. The problem is solved for me and it's working now.

• Greetings,

Wow! Thank you for pointing this out. I will correct that in the documentation and in the image creation utility. I am very glad you were able to resolve this issue. Note, that in the latest Cyclone Max software and utilities the standard 20 pin diagram has been removed because most people use the JTAG/SWD adapter board. Just the diagram has been removed, but the support is still there. No need to change the setup.

Do you have any other questions or concerns?

Takao Yamada

• No, all its working now.

Thanks.

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement