Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Please recommended cable for M68HC16Z1EVB ?
. Dec 15, 2014 at 12:06 PM (12:06 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• I have the M68HC16Z1EVB board. I plan on buying the "PKG 68HC16 Development Package"  soon. However i don't know which of the many cables is the proper one to use with the M68HC16Z1EVB.

My PC has a parallel port.

Comments

• Greetings,

We have removed most parallel port support and the hardware selection we have are mostly USB-based. If you are in development stage, I would suggest getting our USB Multilink Universal FX. We actually have a hardware and software bundle with this multilink. The software site is here:
    http://www.pemicro.com/products/product_viewDetails.cfm?product_id=15320024

With the part number:
    PKG16Z-USB-UNIVERSAL-FX

Takao Yamada

• Thanks much for the quick response. I looked at the Universal FX specs and i am not sure if it will be suitable. 

My PC has USB ports, however the M68HC16Z1EVB board only has a parallel port which its manual states that is how it will connect to the host PC. I don't see a suitable ribbon cable listed at USB Multilink Universal FX page that will connect to the printer port on the M68HC16Z1EVB board.

I suppose i have two questions;

1) Are there any other options ?

2) If i can find a 25-conductor cable assembly that will connect my PC to the M68HC16Z1EVB board, will the "PKG 68HC16 Development Package" support this parallel port configuration ?

• Greetings,

1) Does your board not have a 10-pin BDM port for the USB Multilink Universal FX to connect to? The multilink comes with a 10-pin cable that are usually used for the HC16 chips. We do not interface with onboard parallel ports.

2) Our PKG software is only suitable to work with P&E hardware. So any other hardware solution you find will not work with our software.

Takao Yamada

• Hello,

No, there is no 10-pin BDM port on this board. I will figure something out.

Thanks for your help though.

• My company just purchase this identical board on Ebay. In the photo it shows a chip with a label on it "1991 P.E. Micro Vers 59E5" and a floppy labeled "P & E Microsystems, EVB 16". Since this board was obviously supported by P & E in the past, would there be someone who might know how to interface it?

BTW, I see a connector/socket marked U12 on this board. Could that be the BDM port?

• Greetings,

No, U12 is not the BDM port. HC16 needs a 10-pin connector for BDM. This board looks like it needs a parallel port connection to interface with it. Possibly P10 with "User Interface" is your best luck. I am hoping the floppy disk might have documentation of how to use this board.

Today we do not have any hardware support for this board. You will most likely need to find a very old computer with a floppy drive and parallel port and see what you can do. It is a huge stretch to get support on a board and floppy disk that is 25 years old.

Takao Yamada

• I can understand that. But my boss is reluctant to alter the target units we need to service have to connect the BDM. This board is much cheaper so we figure we can bypass the parallel port and solder on a BDM connector. Hopefully the docs will include a schematic. Does PE have an archive on these old products?

• Greetings,

I do not see any documents of this board anywhere in our archives, but most of our archives only go back so far. My hope as well that you have all you need in that floppy disk.

Takao Yamada

• I've found that some ECU mods based on the HC16 used the parallel printer port as the BDM connector. I'm hoping that is the case here too in which case we may be able to simply replace the connector. http://www.rhinopower.org/ECUs/Datasheets/bdm_pd_if.jpg

• I just got our M68HC16Z1EVB board and I found this in "An Introduction to the MC68HC16Z1"(NXP document MC68HC16Z1TUT.pdf)
    The M68HC16Z1EVB is an evaluation board that consists of a platform board with the processor held in place by a socket. The board has logic analyzer connectors and sockets for external memory. It also has a built-in background debug mode (BDM) connector for use with a debugger. The necessary logic is already on the board, so the user can use a standard 25-pin connector cable and does not need an ICD16 cable with the 10-pin connector.
    To run the board as a stand-alone system and not use BDM, simply remove the PAL (U5) that is socketed onto the EVB. Then change jumpers J1 and J4 from the pseudo-ROM position to the EPROM position.

On some older boards, the PAL may be soldered to the EVB. [That's the case on our board] In this case, configure the PAL so that its inputs appear as if they are connected to the PC. Connect the following pins to ground and +5 volts as shown:
    ground: DB25 pins 6, 8, 21
    PAL pins 6, 10, 11
    +5 volts: DB25 pins 4, 7, 13
    PAL pins 4, 9, 20

I've scanned the relevant page of the schematic and stored it here,

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipM25xbMSFG-zowYdqtxreyIBzGybycbUmn4UZ0a5Yv4zdXRL3vT-MdKG36GOK4dcw/photo/AF1QipOV1TVedS0rVT8S85dKw9EHofD89tvt7LYc4bEg?key=Zmt2alptYjdiNG1tOU41Mmw0WXdpaHgyWC1Pa2h3

Based on this information, do you have any suggestions what I should do to use this board with the USB Multilink Universal FX we've ordered?

• Greetings,

It is your decision if you wish to solder wires onto the highlighted signals and attach a 10-pin connector to it. It might work. But no, I have no other suggestions since it was not designed to be used with an external debugging interface.

Good luck!

Takao Yamada

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement