Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
MPC5746C: USB-ML-UNIVERSAL-FX and PROGPPCNEXUS won't see the target processor
Raul S. Nov 27, 2014 at 10:34 AM (10:34 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• Hello!

I just received the USB-ML-UNIVERSAL-FX interface my company bought. I installed everything and, before registering the SW with our serial number provided, wanted to give it a try, so I applied for a free starter license. The PROGPPCNEXUS v5.13.02.00 updated the Universal FX firmware, although the firmware version is not shown. It doesn't connect to the target processor, even after trying various speeds (rather low ones). I also tried updating the firmware with the tool in the universal FX CD to a qORIVA version, but opening the PROGPPCNEXUS will overwirte it.

Can you please help me debug this issue?

Many thanks!

Comments

• Greetings,

A few questions so I understand your hardware setup better:

1) Do you have any custom adapters, ribbon cables, reset circuitry, or external watchdog? Recently I have seen many customers put system bus chips on their boards and not knowing how hat affects the way external programmers and debuggers have issues communicating to the chip.

2) Have you ever been able to connect to this chip? Have you tried other chips with this multilink and it works fine? I just want to check to make sure it is not a defective multilink or chip.

3) Does both blue and yellow LED lit on the multilink when you attempt to connect to the chip? This indicates the drivers are fine and target power is detected.

4) If you have a socket board or a daughter card on the board, power down the board and try removing the chip/daughter card and reattaching it back onto the board.

Takao Yamada

• Hello, Takao.
    To your questions:
    1.- Yes, we have a custom adapter that works perfectly with a Lauterbach adapter. On the Universal FX, I'm using PORT A - JTAG/ONCE. I assume the pinout is the same? Or maybe we need to use a different Port and this is the issue?
    2.- Lauterbach perfectly interfaces with this chip. We have bought several adapters for the whole team. This is the first one we try. I will try with more adapters and provide feedback.
    3.- Both LEDs light up.
    4.- We are using it in a custom PCB we are developping and there is no daughter cards we can remove.

Somehow, the fact that the

• Just detailing that the custom adapter is merely a pinout/pitch adapter also including a switch to disable the watchdog functionnality present in our development, so as to disable external watchdog resets during debug.

• Greetings,

Thank you for the answers. Do you have the Freescale system basis chip, or do you have an external watchdog? I just want to make the distinction because I had a handful of customers with the system basis chip and having issues.

JTAG/ONCE on port A is the correct connection.
    Is your Universal FX a revision A or B? If you have B, you need to change the firmware within the multilink to support Qorivva. It is not automatically done for you unless you have our latest and greatest software that has this feature. Either way, I want you to check the firmware by using the Multilink Universal firmware update utility and make sure you have the right setup.

Takao Yamada

• Hello!

We redid the testing and after renewed firmware updating (done automatically by the PROGNEXUS), and some power cycling we have started to see the target micro. We now have out of memory issues while programming, but I still need to adjust the programming algorithms. I'll provide new feedback later on today.

Many thanks for your great feedback!!

• Greetings,

You should not have to edit any of our programming algorithms unless you have external flash algorithms.

Takao Yamada

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement