Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Kinetis KL36 needs power cycle after Cyclone programming
Ramesh P. Oct 29, 2014 at 09:02 AM (09:02 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• Hello,

We recently purchased a Cyclone for ARM to program the Kinetis MKL36Z128. Programming and subsequent verify works well. The only issue is that in the case of programming a virgin part, I have to perform a full power cycle on the target MCU before it runs. A hard reset (bringing the Reset_b pin down for at least one full second) does not work.

Our application is such that performing a power cycle after in-circuit programming on every board is not easy. It would be ideal that a simple hard reset is all that is needed.

I have also contacted Freescale and am awaiting a reply. In the meantime, I thought I would approach PE so see if perhaps there something in the Cyclone's setup/configuration which could help here.

Thanks!

Comments

• Greetings,

Are you powering your board externally? If you let the cyclone power up your board, then you would not have to worry about power cycling as the cyclone will do this for you. The reason you need to power cycle a virgin chip is because the flash is blank so the chip is going to boot up running no code. Therefore it will be resetting the chip constantly and making it hard to halt the part. If you power cycle the board while the P&E interface is connected, the chip can be immediately halted by the P&E hardware before it starts running any code.

Takao Yamada

• Hi Takao,

Yes, I do have the option of having the Cyclone handle to power to the target and therefore perform the power cycle as part of the routine. However, the target VDD net has very high storage capacitance and takes >10 seconds to subside regardless of the supply source.

Fortunately, I have the ideal solution now. PE Micro's support was instrumental in directing me toward additional commands available in Cyclone's Image Creation utility, namely RE and GO instructions. RE performs the correct reset function I was searching for, and GO starts the MCU executing. Now the target begins executing immediately after the program/verify sequence.

Thanks.

Ramesh

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement