Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
How do I use the PEmicro USB Multilink Interface I recently bought?
Robert D. Oct 16, 2014 at 11:31 PM (23:31 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• I recently bought the device and it came with no software. I was able to install the drivers and can see it appear in windows 7 device manager window.

What software or toolkit do I need to run this device?

I bought it specifically to use with MC9S08QG8.

I wish to be able to:

- Blank Check
    - Erase
    - Program

Thank you for your help.

Comments

• Greetings,

You are going to have to purchase software as well, unless you already have a Codewarrior IDE.

For the HCS08 architecture, you will need the PROGHCS08 software. This software will allow you to do exactly what you need:
    http://www.pemicro.com/products/product_viewDetails.cfm?product_id=27

If you need a debugger, that is a separate software as well. Let me know if you need that as well.

Takao Yamada

• Hello Takao,

Thank you for your reply.

Is the software you linked compatible with the MC9S08QG8 chip?
      I need to clarify everything before I purchase the software.

I'd also appreciate a link to the debugger you mentioned.

Much appreciated,
      Robert D.

• Greetings,

Yes, it is compatible with your chip. I would not give you a link that was not for your chip.

Debugger that is compatible with your chip and other S08 chips is here:
    http://www.pemicro.com/products/product_viewDetails.cfm?product_id=26

Takao Yamada

• Greetings,

Do you have any other questions or concerns?

Takao Yamada

• Thank you for your continued assistance.

I would like to explain our predicament - we are in the process of repairing cpu chipsets that uses the MC9S08QG8 chip. We have samples that include a working chip and a broken one.

The programmer you linked will allows us to load programs directly into the chip, but will that also allow us to copy the contents from one chip(working chip) to another(broken chip)?

Or would we need the debugger for that functionality?

Much appreciated,
      Robert D.

• Greetings,

A debugger software is not necessary. The flash programming software (PROG) will have the ability to both read and flash chips. However, if the working chip is secured, then you will not be able to read the flash.

Takao Yamada

• Thank you again for your reply.

My colleague has recently purchased the software and works fine with the USB Multilink Interface hardware.

Is the read command you are referring to same as the "SM Show Module" command in the PROGHCS08? The working chip is unsecured and although I can view the memory contents using the SM command, I cannot seem to copy it.

Much appreciated,
    Robert D.

• Greetings,

You need to use the upload module command. Show module will only display the memory contents.

Takao Yamada

• Thank you very much for your help and patience.

I was now able to obtain the S19 file with your help. The upload module command was confusing at first, I thought it was to upload a module to the chip, not the other way around.

Much appreciated,
      Robert D.

• I'd also like to follow up about another issue.

We have blank MCU's at hand however they cannot be read by the PROG. We can't seem to connect to blank MCU's, not even just to perform a blank check.

The error message that reads:
      "The target MCU is not responding. Please turn MCU power off (under 0.1v), turn MCU power on, and then click OK. This will attempt to enter debug mode through a power on reset sequence."

The MCU does not have an on/off switch so we simple pull the plug to reset it. Same message comes up.

How do we connect to blank MCU's?

Much appreciated,
      Robert D.

• Greetings,

The warning message (not an error message) does show up for blank MCU. This is expected behavior because there is no code running in the chip so the chip is constantly resetting itself. You have to power cycle the board while the P&E hardware is holding the BKGD line low to stop the resetting of the chip.

You must power cycle the board, so I must ask how is this board powered up? Are you not able to remove the power of the board and reconnect it?

Takao Yamada

• Greetings,

Were you able to program the board? Do you have any other questions or concerns?

Takao Yamada

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement