Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
PROGCFZ full evaluation version?
michael l. Jul 14, 2014 at 11:27 PM (23:27 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• Dear PE Support

Is There any temp License for use to try this tool, so that we can try Erase and Program, so can make sure this solution is work for us, and make sure the Flash Configuration for SST39VF320C is ready before we pay for the tool.

Currently using CF_Flasher from Freescale.
    Freescale recommended PROGCFZ for new projects.

Downloaded the PROGCFZ Programmer Starter Edition - Version 3.19.00.00;
    Looks able to connect with USB-ML-CFE and read the content in the flash - not absolute sure.
    Not able to do flash erase or program properly with follow error:
    "Demo Software Only - number of PM commands exceeded. Use EM (Erase Module) to clear,....Abort"

When attempt to connect old target M29W320ET flash to Erase, the software will also suspend. The error also appear when using older boards, with

Target Platform: MCF5372LCVM240
    Target Flash#1: SST39VF320C
    Target Flash#2: M29W320ET
    P&E H/W#1: USB-ML-CFE
    PC: Windows7 Professional 64bit Operating System (Service Pack 1)
    : Processor i5-3340M @2.7GHz 8.0GM RAM

Look forward to your support and response.

Michael Lai

Comments

• Greetings,

We do not allow temp licensing. The message about Demo Software Only is not an error. You must erase your chip's flash before programming within the demo version. Once you have the full version, then you have code-size limitation or command use restrictions.

The reason for erasure to suspend forever is most likely you are using the wrong algorithm. Which algorithm are you using?

Our algorithms will not work with every set up. So if the default algorithms we provide do not work, then it is best to get a custom algorithm support request ticket created via our support page. You will need to specify your chip select and WE and RW pin setup to better understand your hardware connections.

Takao Yamada

• Greetings,

Do you have any other questions or concerns?

Takao Yamada

• since the PROGCFZ Programmer Starter Edition - Version 3.19.00.00 do not support any PM commands --> regardless of which alogrithm, it will still hangs.
    1. What are the difference between the many versions?
    2. Any way to test it just once or twice before putting purchase request to management?

• Greetings,

The PM command does work. You just have to run the EM (Erase module) command first before you can call the PM command. Also, your object file must be within code-size limitation due to the software is a starter edition.

What you should do is create a simple project for your ColdFire board that does not exceed the code limitation and see if it programs your board. If it works, then you can be confident that it will work with a bigger project size. As long as your big project compiles, there is nothing different we do in programming the code into the chip whether it is a few bytes or the whole flash.

As I have mentioned before if the chip does not program, it could be because you have a special external flash setup that needs a custom algorithm.

Takao Yamada

• Greetings,

Concerning software versions, every time we make an update to the software we up the version number. So you should always seek to get the latest software so that it has the least amount of bugs and the most amount of features.

If you want more details of what version supports what, you can check out our PROGCFZ website and see the version detail info:
    http://www.pemicro.com/products/product_viewDetails.cfm?product_id=99

Takao Yamada

• Dear Support,

Here I give more detail information about the test which Micheal mentioned.

Common platform:

Processor : Freescale MCF5372LCVM240
      PEMicro Device:USB-ML-CFE RevC/RevD, Flash Version 5.54, Revision A,
      Device Detected shows: Generic 52xx
      Object File

1.Test on setup with flash M29W320ET:
      it is in 2x16 mode in our design, so select this "Numonyx_29W320E-T_2x16x2meg.CFP" in PEMicro\PKGCFZPROSTARTER\Algorithms folder.

Status Window:
      ;version 1.10, 03/15/2002, Copyrite P&E Micro....www..com [Am29_320dt_12]

Test result:
      Can read all the content in flash by "SM Show Module" command.

But after issue "EM Erase Module"command, the status window shows erase is executing and never finish, if cancel the erase, check the Flash, all content still there, not been erased.
      use "BE Block Erase" command, report done from Stutus Window, but not when read the content from flash address.

When issue "PR Program Module" command, report Error and ask for do "Erase".

2.Test on setup with flash SST39VF3202C:
      also in 2X16 mode, so select this "SST_39VF320_2x16x2meg.CFP" in PEMicro\PKGCFZPROSTARTER\Algorithms folder.

Status Window:
      ;version 1.04, 04/27/2004, Copyrite P&E Micro....www..com [Sst39_320_12]

Test result:
      Can read all the content in flash by "SM Show Module" command.

But after issue "EM Erase Module" or "SE Sector Erase" command, the status window shows erase is executing and never finish, if cancel the erase, check the Flash, all content still there, not been erased.
      use "BE Block Erase" command, report done from Stutus Window, but not when read the content from flash address.

When issue "PR Program Module" command, report Error and ask for do "Erase".

Questions:
      1.are these two algorithms correct for these two flash IC?

2.is the "Device Detected shows: Generic 52xx" shows in the status window means the MCF5372LCVM240 is not detected properly?

Thanks for your help!
      Chenghao

• Greetings,

Do you have any other questions or concerns?

Takao Yamada

• Greetings,

You replied back to me after I asked if you have any more questions. No need to send us an email to tell me that you have replied back to a forum post.

If the software detects just a generic 52xx chip, there is most likely a connection problem. If you are using custom ribbon cables, adapters, or other unique hardware then most likely you have signal noise or delays. Try lowering the debug shift frequency during the connection manager setup to remedy against extra hardware and delays.

Once you are able to get the message to not say generic 52xx, then you will need to get the algorithms problem solved. If you are not able to erase or program your chip, most likely you need a custom algorithm. As I have mentioned before, if the default algorithms do not work with your setup, then most likely you need to create a custom algorithms support request. Not all external algorithms will work with every setup because people can choose between which chip select pin and write/read pins to connect. You will need to look at your schematic of the board and find out which pins are connected to your external flash.

Takao Yamada

• Thanks for your reply, but I didn't send email to you, maybe it is done by this forum automatically?

I tried several lower debug shift speed, and the lowest speed, all detect 52xx chip.

I also tried "Multilink Universal FX RevA" device for the test, also same.

We have a small connector in between the BDM adapter and the board, but it works with old CFFlasher software and also works with Green Hill Probe with IDE MULTI very well.

Any suggestion on how to isolate the device detection issue?

Thanks
      Chenghao

• Dear Support,

We need to solve this issue with your help ASAP, do you need our schematic to help us find out the root cause?

I already applied the PO from P&EMicro, but I need hold it until we make sure Erase and Program can work properly. please help us on this issue.

Any clue can give us for the next step?

Thanks !
    Chenghao

• Greetings,

"You replied back to me after I asked if you have any more questions. No need to send us an email to tell me that you have replied back to a forum post."

The email I was referring to was to the original person who posted on the forum topic "Michael L", not to you Chenghao S.

Please go to this website and download the 64k Starter edition for Coldfire software:
      http://www.pemicro.com/products/product_viewDetails.cfm?product_id=198

See if the latest version we have gives you better results. Note, this is a starter edition so you will not be able to program more than 64K. But this should help whether the software can detect your 53xx instead of 52xx. Also, make sure you are selecting "AutoDetect". If it continues to fail, you could try not using autodetect and select the option of Generic 53xx and move on.

Takao Yamada

• Dear Support,

1. For the PROGCFZ 3.19(which is latest version from your link), the detection still fail, still show "Generic 52xx", I used Autodetect, and there is no check(or any option) list to select "Generic 53xx", but only another option is to key in the "MCU internal bus frequency".
    Can I say, there is other version software with the above option?

2. Here I got some improvement today:
    I found maybe I used wrong flash config file, After I change the Configuration file from Numonyx_29W320E-T_2x16x2meg.CFP to Numonyx_29W320E-T_1x16x2meg.CFP, I can use the PROGCFZ 3.19 to erase the flash.

But for the programming module, I program object file *.S19 file which is 55K uploaded file by "Upload Rang " function in PROGCFZ , still show the same error "Demo Software Only - number of PM commands exceeded. Use EM (Erase Module) to clear".

If "program words", error message would be"Error during last word programming".
    Is this problem because of the MCU detecte as "Generic 52xx"

3. Does this tool support *.bin(binary format) file programming or uploading?

Looking forward for your support.

Thanks & Regards
    Chenghao

• Dear Support,

Any clue for me to try?

Thanks
    Chenghao

• Greetings,

1) I forgot that we have removed this setting from our software. We now just auto-detect the hardware.

2) The difference between the two algorithms you selected is whether or not you have one or two external flash chips. You must have one chip because it worked.

Are you sure your S19 file is 55K of data being programmed, or is your S19 file size if 55K. There is a difference. Just looking at the file properties of the S19 file is not correct.

Are you using the PM command right after a EM command? Make sure you do this otherwise the demo software will not allow you to program.

3) Our software tools support S19 and ELF files. You can check our utilities to convert your binary file into an S19 file. The one you are looking for is "CONVERT":
    http://www.pemicro.com/support/download_processor.cfm?type=5

Takao Yamada

• Dear Support,

1.Can you share me the old version software, which have this setting for testing only? I think this 52xx or 53xx detection is the key blocker for my testing.

2.Actually, in my test, the erase flash only works when use "EN Erase if not Blank", but the "EM Erase module" still the same, never stop after it start.

and the "EN" works means when the command is finished, I use show module to read the flash, find the Flash already erased to 0xFFFF, but this EN command still report error: Erasing. Module could not be erased.

Once the EN is done, I run "PM", confirm file size is S19 file size. it will print following error:
    Checking range of S records. Checked.
    Programming Address $00000000. Error during programming.($00400000)

Question for the above message:
    The flash address of 29W320ET is from 0x00000000 to 0x003FFFFFF, is this number ($00400000) in the message correct?

3. The Status Window is showing
    ;version 1.10, 12/03/2001, Copyrite P&E Micro....www.com [Am29_320dt_w]

But our Flash IC is 29W320ET, not dt, is it OK?

4.Is the BIN2S19 in the page works for binary to S19 convert?

Looking forward for your support!

Thanks !
    Chenghao

• Greetings,

I think the best way to move on is for you to create a support request ticket so that we can send and receive files. We cannot do so in this public forum. I will update this thread if anybody else is following this issue.

Takao Yamada

• Dear Support,

Support Request ID # 21011 created, could you help to process it ASAP?

thanks for your help!
    Chenghao

• Greetings,

This issue was resolved once the customer got the custom algorithm. As I have said from the beginning if anyone is trying to use the default external flash algorithms that comes with the software and it is not working, then it is most likely you need to request for a custom algorithms support request ticket. This can easily be done on our support page. But please make sure to check our algorithms page on our support website for the latest algorithms.

Takao Yamada

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement