Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Programming the S908AC128
Paul M. Jun 3, 2014 at 02:33 PM (14:33 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• I have designed several systems using the HC08 family but it seems it is being phased out. Are the HCS08 and S908 the same thing? The nomenclature is a bit confusing. 

Anyway, I have been using interfaces of my own design to program these but the BDM interface for the HCS08 is probably too much work to do my own. From what I am reading on your website, I will need two products to do this. A hardware interface and some software to drive it. To keep costs down it looks like I will need a USB Multilink Universal for $119 and ProgHCS08 for $169 (Total $288). The package PKGHCS08-USB-UNIVERSAL says it just contains these two but the price that is listed is $518.00 which $230 more than buying the two separately. What is going on here? Is there more (like debugging software and debug interface libraries) that is included in the bundle that isn't included with the separate pieces?

Comments

• Greetings,

There is a difference between the HC08 and HCS08. You will find that different signals are needed to connect to HCS08 chips (BDM).

The packaged deal does come with extra software. The PKGHCS08-USB-UNIVERSAL also includes debugging software (ICDHCS08) and an IDE (WINIDE) with an assembler. Best detailed in this website:
    http://www.pemicro.com/products/product_viewDetails.cfm?product_id=24

Unless you are only programming, you are correct that the cheapest option we have the USB Multilink Universal and the PROG HCS08 software that you have already found.

Takao Yamada

• Please re-read what I wrote. I was asking about if there is a different between the HCS08 and the S908. Notice I didn't even mention the HC08.

• ...I already know there is a difference between the HC08 and the HCS08. That wasn't my question. My question asks if the S908 is the same thing as HCS08. Please read carefully.

• Greetings,

Sorry, misread your question. Yes, 9S08 and HCS08 is the same thing. 9S08 is the prefix of the chip's part number, while HCS08 is the official name of the chip's architecture. You actually did mention HC08 and I thought that was part of your question. Honest mistake.

Do you have any questions concerning what software or hardware to get?

Takao Yamada

• Greetings,

Did I answer all of your questions?

Takao Yamada

• Yes. You answered my previous questions. Now I just have to start (re)climbing the learning curve. I had to scratch my design and start over with evaluation because Freescale told me that the device I was using is "not recommended for new designs". I have been working on the schematic and just started a board layout today. It will be a while before I start using you development tools. The hardware development cycle adds delays not present in software development.

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement