Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Extracting Programming Settings from Standalone Cyclone Pro
Tharon H. Mar 12, 2014 at 11:10 AM (11:10 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• We have inherited a control board but some of the "tribal knowledge" that went into it has been lost. Specifically, I need to know the correct Cyclone Pro settings to talk to the board. I have a standalone Cyclone Pro from the PCB manufacturer that works, but I can't figure out a way to EXTRACT it's settings so I know what they need to be.

Surely this can be done, correct?

Comments

• Greetings,

You are in luck! I just created a utility a week ago that does just exactly what you need.

It is still in beta so please test it out for me and let me know if you think there is an error, or a feature you would like implemented. It currently does not have all the features implemented.

I have sent an email with a download link for this utility.

Takao Yamada

• Hi Takao,

Is there any chance you could sent me a copy of this utility, please? We have some SAP files on which I would like to verify (and save) the settings. I created the files in a hurry and failed to document what I did, precisely. When we pass the project to our client in a few months' time, it would be useful for them (or their new contractors) to be able to re-create the images.

I'm not fussed about reading the .S19 files since we have those on hand, although it would be useful to confirm that we have the right ones.

I certainly don't need to read them from the Cyclone Pro. We have them on hand in our version control system.

Regards,

Geoff

• Hi Takao Y.,

I was looking for the same utility. Can u please send it to my email?

Thanks!
      BR.

• Greetings,

I have sent you my utility. Note, that this is ONLY for cyclone pro and cyclone max SAP images only. You cannot extract SAP images from the cyclone, nor can you use this utility get information of the new images for Cyclone universal [FX].

For cyclone universal and cyclone universal FX, you do not need to use the utility. Instead go to the image creation utility and go to the File Menu to "Load Configuration from File" to load all the configurations for you!

Takao Yamada

• Well, I see that the utility can decipher a SAP file. That is half the answer. How do I extract the SAP out of a standalone programmer that is already programmed and I don't have the original SAP file?

• Greetings,

We do not allow extraction of the SAP image off the cyclone. This is to prevent anyone from hacking into the cyclone to take classified information.

To prevent this problem from happening, you should save the configurations when using the image creation utility by going to the File Menu and select "save cyclone configurations". Also you can save the SAP image onto your hard disk as well to keep a record of your images.

My only suggestion is to program a chip with the SAP image and if the chip is not secured, use the PROG software that comes with the cyclone and use commands like "Upload module" to extract the S19 data. Then use the utility I sent you to get the rest of the information like which settings to use. If the chip is secured after programming, then there is nothing we can do.

Takao Yamada

• The whole problem is that we can't get communications working between the Freescale micro and the Cyclone Pro. I have the S19 file, but what was lost in the hand off were the settings to talk to the board. :(

• Greetings,

My suggestion is to use the PROG software that comes with the cyclone pro software package. This is a step-by-step programming tool that can help you diagnose the issue of why the chip cannot be programmed using the S19 file you were given. The only settings you need to worry is whether to provide 3 or 5V from the cyclone, or to provide power externally. The algorithm you should select is based on the chip you are using.

Is there any way you can contact the person who handed you the S19 file?

Takao Yamada

• Unfortunately the original party is choosing to not be helpful.

• Greetings,

You are going to have to debug this issue yourself. Again, use the PROG software I mentioned. You should at least be able to enter background mode and load the algorithm. If you cannot get this done, then you may not have a SAP image issue but a hardware setup issue.

Takao Yamada

• Greetings,

Have you had any luck using the PROG software to debug your issue?

Takao Yamada

• Hi Takao,

Is there any chance you could sent me a copy of this utility? I have one SAP file on a PE Micro and i need to extract the file.

Can you help me please?

• Sent! Enjoy!

• Thanks for the program, but what I need is to extract from a Micro PE a saved SAP image which I do not have in file on my computer alone in the micro PE.

• Greetings,

There is no way to extract the SAP image from the cyclone. This is to prevent anyone from stealing your intellectual property. If you were the one who created the SAP image, then you should try to replicate it. If you were not the one who created it, then you need to contact that person and have them create the SAP image from scratch.

Takao Yamada

• Ok thanks, one more cuestion. I have a folder when you can find .cfg, .08p and .s19 files extension. I can create a SAP image from this files?

• Greetings,

Yes you can! Use the image creation utility found in the cyclone software. The CFG files can be loaded into this utility by going to File Menu -> Load configuration file.

If done correctly, it should be able to locate the correct 08P and S19 files. But if this utility is being ran on a different computer, it may not be able to locate these files and you can specify them with the 08P and S19 files you have in your folder.

Please make sure to read the reference manual for the cyclone to learn how to save the SAP onto your computer so you do not run into this problem again.

Takao Yamada

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement