Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Can unit library be used to write to flash?
Ken C. migrated on Dec 31, 2013 at 11:00 AM
No staff assigned yet

• Hi,

My target board is based on MCF5208, and contains a proprietary internal flash which is not from any particular flash manufacturer. The board is connected to the host through USB_ML_CF BDM. I need to have a way of programming the internal flash with our firmware. Can I use your unit library UNITCFZ to write to the flash?

I read in this forum that the unit library could be used only to test RAM and registers, but not to write to the flash. Is this true? On my board the flash is somehow represented as a part of normal RAM. As a result, a flash location on my board would appear to be a RAM location to the UNITCFZ library. So can I use UNITCFZ to write to the flash in this case?

Any help would be appreciated.

KenC

Comments

• Hello KenC,

P&E unit libraries include an extensive API that allows user to write to RAM of the part and modify data/address/peripheral/control registers. It also allows the user to run/step/halt processor.

If your FLASH is mapped to RAM, you will be able to implement a FLASH writing procedure and eventually program your data into FLASH. Writing to FLASH is a bit different that just loading code to RAM. It usually involves following an outlined sequence of steps that turn on/off necessary chip selects, FLASH programming voltages and then lastly puts actual data into appropriate locations.

You can email me a FLASH specification to zahar at pemicro dot com and I can run it by our FLASH programming department to see if they can give you anymore suggestions.

We also offer free programming algorithm design services for devices are made by mainstream FLASH manufacturers, in case if a customer is using P&E software (progcfz) and/or hardware interfaces (Cyclone MAX, Multilink Universal).

Best Regards,
    Zahar
    P&E

QUOTE (KenC @ Apr 21 2011, 10:09 PM) [legacy comment]
    Hi,

My target board is based on MCF5208, and contains a proprietary internal flash which is not from any particular flash manufacturer. The board is connected to the host through USB_ML_CF BDM. I need to have a way of programming the internal flash with our firmware. Can I use your unit library UNITCFZ to write to the flash?

I read in this forum that the unit library could be used only to test RAM and registers, but not to write to the flash. Is this true? On my board the flash is somehow represented as a part of normal RAM. As a result, a flash location on my board would appear to be a RAM location to the UNITCFZ library. So can I use UNITCFZ to write to the flash in this case?

Any help would be appreciated.

KenC

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement