Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Performance of Cyclone Pro and USB-ML for S12x
Martin K. migrated on Dec 31, 2013 at 11:00 AM
No staff assigned yet

• We have to kinds of S12x on our embedded solution, these are the S12XEQ512 and the S12XEP768. To flash the MCUs we used all the time the inDART programmer, but we are not able to access the Eeprom area using this device. So we decided to buy the Cyclone Pro, we have 2 devices of your Cyclone Pro. Up to now we are not really happy with the new solution, because the programming process with the Cyclone Pro takes 80 seconds longer than with the inDART, but may be there is a fault on our side. It works as expected, no faults while programming and even Eeprom access is possible. I think we haven't used the correct interface speed (in moment the automatic detection) and maybe we used the wrong flash algorithm (there is one named with _PLL and on without). As soon as we can increase the flash programming speed, the device gets really interesting for us.

We now have to decide how to proceed and my wish would be to use your "USB-ML-12" as HW interface to flash our S12X devices, but we want to access it with our own tooling. So we need to buy additionally your "Interface Library Routines for 68HC(S)12(X)". I think we would take the open solution "UNIT12Z_DIST", so that there are no restrictions of the number of machines. Please correct me, in case I'm wrong.

From my point of view we need to buy 8 pieces of USB-ML-12 and once the Interface Library Routines. Please answer some questions before we give the order.

1.) Can we also access the internal RAM of the S12x through the USB-ML-12 and modify it, using the Interface Library Routines? Or is it only possible to flash ROM and EEprom?

2.) Is there any timing difference between USB-ML-12 and the Cyclone Pro e.g. is the USB-ML-12 the same in time for flashing as the Cyclone Pro?

3.) The compiler and linker we use generates ELF, HEX and binary files. It's necessary that we can flash the output files without your image container tool, or we need an automation process to create this without any user interaction. Is it possible to flash one of the output files using the Interface Library Routines without image container creation by hand?

Thanks a lot for your support in advance.
    Martin Kupke

Comments

• Meanwhile I checked the algorithm once with the _PLL and once without the _PLL extension in filename, this doesn't make any difference in programming speed. Additionally I talked with our HW department and they told me which frequency to set, but the timing wasn't changed against the automatic detection. Then I checked the environment what is the difference to the InDart programming and found out there was another strategy, so you can reject the request for timing issues.
    As I could measure, the InDart isn't faster than your products respective your flash algorithms. Sorry for the confusion.

Please just concentrate on the 3 open questions.

• Martin,

You will achieve the fastest programming speeds with the Cyclone Pro if it is setup in stand alone configuration.

1)The Interface Library Routines (UNIT_12Z) will allow you to access and modify the internal ram only on your S12 device. For programming flash, you should use PROG12Z/CPROG12Z.

2) The speed will depend on how you setup the Cyclone Pro. You will get the best performance if the Cyclone Pro is configured for stand alone. If you program from a PC, the USB-ML-12 will be faster then the serial port and slightly faster than the USB port on the Cyclone Pro.

3) The output file must be in Motorola S-record format. We provide some commandline utilities with the Cyclone Pro software that can create the SAP image files. We also sell a DLL-based and a commandline solution (Cyclone Automated Control Software) for downloading of SAP image files and parallel/gang programming with the Cyclone Pro.

Best Regards,
    Johnny
    P&E Technical Support

• Johnny,

first many thanks for your reply. Here is what I understood from your answers, please correct me if I'm wrong:

1.) Of course we want only to access the internal S12x RAM. So this is possible using the Interface Library Routines (UNIT_12Z).

2.) We want to use the programming routines from a PC, instead of a "Stand-Alone" programmer as the Cyclone Pro. So far the decision for the USB-ML-12 is quite good.

3.) We use the Cosmic Compiler / Linker and not the CodeWarrior, but I already found solutions to create S-Records using our build environment.

So, I think the best solution for us would be the USB-ML-12 with the Interface Library Routines (UNIT_12Z).
    Question: How shall we proceed in case the management on my side decides to buy the above planned solution? Where to place the order?

Thanks a lot,
    Martin...

• Johnny,

I discussed with a SW developer and a HW engineer on our side the proposed solution with your USB-ML-12 and the Interface Library Functions. So far they are quite satisfied, but 2 more questions came up which need to be clarified.

1.) We want to build our own application to access the S12x using your Interface Library Functions and the SW developer asked for a API (Application Programming Interface) specification / documentation, so that he can get an overview how much effort it will be on the SW implementation side. Can you provide this documentation in advance?

2.) The HW engineer asked, if there is any security mechanism within the USB-ML-12 in case our boards may be defective e.g. there was a misplacement of some semiconductor. Or will the - may be wrongly - assembled HW destroy the USB-ML-12?

Thanks for your support,
    Martin...

• Martin,

1) Your can download a sample API from the following link:

http://www.pemicro.com/downloads/download_file.cfm?download_id=151" target="_blank">http://www.pemicro.com/downloads/download_...download_id=151

This example was derived from the UNITHCS08 API but it is very similar to UNIT12Z.

2) The USB-ML-12 comes with some transient suppression protections. It lacks additional protection like I/O and power clamping diodes that is available in the more expensive Cyclone Pro.

Regards,
    Johnny
    P&E

• Hi Johnny,

that sounds really good to me and I already discussed with the management on our side.
    It looks like we want to buy the USB BDM MultiLink for S12x several times (round about 6-8 pieces).
    Additionally we want to buy the UNIT12Z Interface Library Routines for 1 Developer and Unlimited Distributions.

How do we have to proceed? Is there any distribution of your products in Europe (preferred in Germany), or do we have to order directly from you?

Many thanks for your support.
    Best regards,
    Martin...

• QUOTE (Martin Kupke @ Feb 21 2011, 05:38 AM) [legacy comment]
    Hi Johnny,

that sounds really good to me and I already discussed with the management on our side.
    It looks like we want to buy the USB BDM MultiLink for S12x several times (round about 6-8 pieces).
    Additionally we want to buy the UNIT12Z Interface Library Routines for 1 Developer and Unlimited Distributions.

How do we have to proceed? Is there any distribution of your products in Europe (preferred in Germany), or do we have to order directly from you?

Many thanks for your support.
    Best regards,
    Martin...

Hello Martin,

I don't think we have any official distributors in Germany. We have a distributor in France and in the UK.

Here is the list: http://www.pemicro.com/contact_us/index.cfm" target="_blank">http://www.pemicro.com/contact_us/index.cfm

Click on 'International Distributors and Resellers' on the left hand side.

Best Regards,
    Johnny
    P&E Technical Support

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement