Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
search inside all forums
"Target may have entered reset escalation. please power cycle the board" on PROGPPCNEXUS
Green L. Dec 29, 2020 at 12:39 PM (12:39 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• I have one DEVKIT MCP5748G board. My understanding is that this board has been programmed. I tried to use PROGPPCNEXUS to erase this device. 
    But the software showed "Target may have entered reset escalation. please power cycle the board" when I connected the board.

Then I removed MPC5748G power and do power recycle(There is a jumper that can remove power, not unplug USB cable ). After that I clicked OK. It still was not able to connect.
    Anything else I should need to notice for that? Uncensor password?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Greetings,

If the chip required an uncensor password, it could fail with a reset escalation. So you may want to check to see if the previous programmer had set a password. If so, then you will be stuck and the only way forward is to get a new board or replace the chip on this board.

If the chip is not censored, the other reason for getting this warning is that the previous programmer set a short reset escalation threshold. This means just one or two soft resets since the last power cycle has caused it to enter reset escalation. Power cycling the board should allow you to get back to debug mode.

Try using our free trial 64-KB software of ICD PPCNEXUS and use the "hot sync" button instead of "connect" to the board. Hot sync will not trigger reset but instead try to enter debug in its current state. If you are successful, then we know the reset escalation is being triggered by soft resets and not something else like censorship password or external watchdogs.

ICD PPCENXUS trial:
    http://www.pemicro.com/downloads/download_file.cfm?download_id=194

Takao

• Thank you for the explanation. It's really useful for beginner on PPC.

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEmicro account.

© 2021 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement