Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
CPROGACMP Error Message: Cannot enter background mode. Check connections.
Dennis D. Sep 20, 2017 at 10:01 AM (10:01 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• Hello,

I am experiencing a problem when trying to connect to an ARM target board while using programming commands via a script. I am using a Multilink Universal FX interface and the PROGACMP User Manual as a guide.

The error message I receive is the following:
    Initializing. Cannot enter background mode. Check connections.
    ERROR 34 during script!

When I try to add the powerupdelay configuration command to my batch file I get the following error message:
    Error - Invalid command line parameter (:powerupdelay).
    ERROR 43 during script!

My version of the CPROGACMP Programmer is 3.00.00.22.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Greetings,

What happens if you used PROG, instead of CPROG. Are you able to connect? You should do this first to confirm your settings and connections are good before trying to automate it all in a script.

Connect enter background indicates that your multilink is detected and attempting to communicate to the target board but it is failing. This can be due to connection issues, power, too fast of a communication speed, etc. Try lowering the debug shift frequency and add some (200ms) reset delay.

Takao Yamada

• Hi Takao,

Yes, I am able to connect when using PROG. I forgot to mention that in the previous post.

I'm not sure how to set the reset delay. As I stated before, I'm getting an error when using the :powerupdelay configuration command.

example:
      PROGACMP\CPROGACMP ? bdm_speed 3 :powerupdelay 250 interface=USBMULTILINK port=USB1

Please let me know if I am not implementing this correctly.

Thanks!

• Greetings,

The command line use is incorrect. Where is your CFG file? The :powerupdelay command needs to go inside and at the top of the CFG file.

Takao Yamada

• Hi Takao,

Thank-you, your recommendation worked. I am now able to attach to the target.

However, I am now having a new problem when programming the hex file. The error message is as follows:
    Programming Address $00000000 Error during programming.
    ERROR 18 during script!

I tried using PROG and it programs okay without any problems.

I also noticed that when using CPROG that the error happens only on every other try. The first time it works, the second time it does not, etc...

Is something in the setup not getting cleared during successive programming events?

Thanks!

• Greetings,

Are you actually erasing before attempting to reprogram? Or are you attempting to overwrite what is already in flash?

Takao Yamada

• Hi Takao,

Yes, the following is a copy of my programming script:
    :providepower 1
    :powerdowndelay 1000
    :powerupdelay 250
    :poweroffonexit 1
    :useswd 1
    RE
    CM [full_path]\freescale_kl25z128m4_1X32X32k_pflash.arp
    SS [full_path]\S-TypeELTChksum.hex
    EM
    BM
    PM
    PT
    VM

Thanks!

• Greetings,

Remove the initial RE. Not necessary and could actually cause more problems. In PROG you do not use the RE command, so you should not add it into your CPROG commands. Your algorithm already handles resetting of your device. By having RE, this puts your device out of debug mode.

You may want to run a test where after programming, try on your second attempt to only erase. Then use PROG to confirm that the erase occurred. A programming error typically occurs when people try to program a device that is not erased.

Takao Yamada

• Takao,

I removed the initial RE, but it has not fixed the problem.

Moreover, I discovered that the same problem occurs when using the PROG programmer. I get identical results with the PROG as I do with the CPROG programmer.

I did restart my PC hoping the problem would disappear, but to no avail. Perhaps this problem is unique to my PC...

I would like to resolve this issue if possible because I will be consecutively programming (multiplexing) an array of PCBs in the near future.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• Greetings,

Does this problem only occur if you program the same device twice? What happens if you program one device and consecutively you program another device by moving the ribbon cable from one board to another. I just want to understand how the problem shows up.

Takao Yamada

• Takao,

I tried programming two different boards consecutively as you suggested, and I am still seeing the same problem.

I will try using a different computer first thing in the morning to see if I get the same results.

I will contact you once I run a few experiments in the morning...

Thanks!

• Greetings,

If you continue to have issues, go to Support page -> Support requests and create a ticket. We might try a newer version of software or updated version of firmware to see if it resolves itself.

Takao Yamada

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement