Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
UTEST PCP file (v1.04) for MPC5777C not working ?
John S. Jul 13, 2017 at 10:20 AM (10:20 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• I am using been using PROGPPCNEXUS programmer ver 1.38.00.03 with a USB Multilink for years, successfully programming main PFLASH on NXP MPC5777C micro. I am now trying to program in the UTEST memory section, to program DCF Records starting at loc $0040.0308. I am loading the latest UTEST PCP file v1.04. I get the following errors with these commands, before even trying to erase and program:
    SHOW MODULE just displays "UU" characters for all locations
    UPLOAD MODULE just produces a PTP file with "01" data bytes for all locations.

However, a BLANK CHECK cmd does show true $00400300 contents of $05AA (DCF Start Record programmed by NXP).

Any idea why I get these inconsistent results ? I don't dare try erase or program operations until I see good read results.

On a sidenote, I see there are later UTEST PCP file revisions for the 5777M micro, so maybe they made an update that could also apply to 5777C ?

Thanks much,
    John S.

Comments

• Greetings,

Which USB Multilink are you using?

I have used the UTEST algorithm to censor my MPC5777C chip so I know it works. What you should first do is before connecting to your target lower the debug shift frequency in PROG. Then try accessing the UTEST memory. Too fast a communication can cause unstable behavior that you are seeing.

Note, with Multilink Universal FX there is a bug where if you try using show module command and you try accessing memory with ECC errors, then you will see lots of XX or UU in the memory window. Multilink Universal or other non-FX hardware do not have this issue. I know for a fact that there is a section within the beginning of UTEST region that on purpose has memory with ECC errors.

Do you have ICD PPCNEXUS? If you do, then you will not see the bug using the multilink universal FX hardware in UTEST memory region.

Takao Yamada

• HI Takao,

Thanks for the quick reply. We are using a "USB PowerPC NEXUS Multilink", rev A. It is rather old, bought maybe in 2009 ? Is there a way to upgrade the firmware inside (assuming there is firmware) ?

Note that, per above, we are also using an older version (1.38.00.03) of PROGPPCNEXUS. Could that be a problem ?
      Unfortunately, we don't have ICD PPCNEXUS.

I tried the slowest BDM speed of 31250 (versus 1Mb we were using), with no improvement in either the Show or Upload command read results. For both, I specified a Start Address of $00400308, which is user area that should be free of ECC errors. This is pretty far from the UTEST Start of $00400000.
      -- John

• Greetings,

It is your software version that is the problem. Here is the release notes of when it was supported:

PROGPPCNEXUS v3.24
    28 April 2014
    - Adds MPC5746R cut 2 support
    - Adds MPC5777C support
    - Adds MPC5775K cut 2 support

Go to here and find the link for "download the PKGPPCNEXUS 64K Trial Edition"
    http://www.pemicro.com/products/product_viewDetails.cfm?product_id=15320116

This is the latest software that comes with latest firmware for your multilink with latest algorithm. But this is a free demo version that supports only up to 64K. But try using PROG again and see if it you can see the memory. Also try ICD and check that memory address. You should be able to program UTEST using this demo version since you will not be programming more than 64K. UTEST is only 16K anyways.

Takao Yamada

• Yes, using the 64K Trial version did work ! I will now purchase the latest version of PROGPPCNEXUS to pick up the needed change for compatibility with the 2016 algorithm. 

I now consider this issue closed, thank you for your quick assistance !
      ====================================================================
      SIDENOTE: When trying to use the Program Module cmd, the Trial version forced me to first perform an Erase operation. Since UTEST is OTP memory, Erase is not possible, but I worry that even attempting an Erase operation might mess something up in UTEST Flash. Is my concern unwarranted ? (I did do a UTEST module upload both before & after the Erase operation, so I will look for any resulting modifications). Or is an Erase not actually being attempted at the algorithm level, and this is just a PROGPPC thing ?

Thanks much,
      John S.

• Greetings,

That is a valid concern and although the EM command exists it will not do anything because UTEST is OTP. What I can do is disable and make the command invisible to ensure that no one can accidentally execute the command. I will update the algorithms and put them up on our website by early next week.

Takao Yamada

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement