Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Global Variables can not monitoring
. Mar 8, 2017 at 08:31 PM (20:31 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• Dear,

I have Multilink Universal JTAG debugger and ICDPPCNEXUS Debugger Version 6.09.00.00.
    I'm working on SPC560B50 using ICDPPCNEXUS Debugger Ver. 6.09.00.00 with multilink.
    Algorithm, ST_SPC560B50_1x32x128k_CFlash_DFlash.pcp is loaded and loaded elf file is made from SPC5Studio complie tool.
    It seem to work go and step debugging function. But several global variables are not listed on "List Global Variables" dialog.
    When I try to add global variables not listed, value is "unkonwn", but add variable with address listed on map file, It can be monitored.

Is there any configuration to fix it?

Thangks,

David Lee

Comments

• Greetings,

You should check within your ELF file that the variable in question is listed. Use a readelf utility from GCC and have it display all of the headers.

If it is not listed, then that means during compilation that variable was maybe optimized out. Go back to SPC5 Studio and see if you can disable optimization. If it is listed in the ELF headers as a global and our software cannot detect it, then there may be a bug in the software.

Takao Yamada

• Hello Takao,

Thank you for your advice.
      Issue is cloed. Root cause was optimize option.
      But I have another issue caused by optimize option.
      Output file(binary) size is increased more than 20%.
      Flash memory is used more than 90% if we off the optimize option.
      Our customer does not accept over 80%.

Therefore I checked with another tool, TRACE32 debugging environment, it can recognize all global variables even optimize option is -O3.
      I think ICDPPCNEXUS also possible with higher optimize option.
      If optimize option is not allowed, we could not use this debugging environment.
      Please improve this function or suggest another solution.

Thank you,

David Lee

• Greetings,

With Trace32, are you using their compiler? Or are you using the same compiler results in both TRACE32 debugging and in ICDPPCNEXUS? Every company's compilers are different and we need to compare apples to apples.

Takao Yamada

• Dear Takao,

I'm using same compiler for both debugging tools. I mean I've used same elf file. Compiler and version is gcc 4.9.2 ->Free PowerPC-VLE GCC 4.9.2

Thanks,

David Lee

• Greetings,

I will have to talk to our ELF file expert but he is on vacation this week. We will need examples of working and nonworking cases so if you can go to Support page -> Support requests and create a ticket with a sample ELF file then we can look into this further. The sample could be small snippets of code, not the entire project you are working on. Plus it avoids the need of NDA.

Takao Yamada

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement