Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Cannot download to NXP DEVKIT-S12G128
Daniel M. Feb 14, 2017 at 02:21 AM (02:21 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• Hi, 

I have just purchased the NXP DEVKIT-S12G128 and need help to download code to it using CodeWarrior v5.9.0 and Windows 7.

I installed the P&E Drivers v12.4.0.0 and connected the DEVKIT-S12G128 to the PC (using the supplied USB cable) after moving the jumper on the board to the USB position.

The demonstration code (flashing LED) started running on the DEVKIT-S12G128. In Device Manager on the PC I see the following:

Jungo - WinDriver
    LibUSB- Win32 Devices - OSBDM/OSJTAG - Debug Port
    Ports - OSBDM/OSJTAG - CDC Serial Port

I tried to download a short assembly program to flash the LED (with "P&E USB BDM Multilink" as per the NXP user guide). When I press the "Debug" icon in CodeWarrior the "True-Time Simulator & Real-Time Debugger" screen says "Unable to open specified port" and the "P&E HC(S)12 Connection Manager v2.74.00.01" screen says "Undetected. Disconnect/Connect USB cable. Click Refresh List". I tried disconnecting/connecting but the problem was not resolved. The link to "FAQ #29" advises to uninstall and install the P&E Drivers, which I did. This did not work either.

I then downloaded and ran the P&E driver utility tool. The generated output file says "No errors were detected. Your P&E drivers are correctly installed". It suggested I download and install the legacy driver. So I uninstalled the P&E Drivers and attempted to install the legacy driver. However during installation I received the error message "Cannot run an x86 build of this utility on x64 platform".

So I installed the P&E Drivers v12.4.0.0 again and tried once more, this time with ~9V to the barrel connector and the jumper on the board set to 3.3V. This did not work. I then set the jumper on the board to USB (with ~9V to the barrel connector) and tried again. This did not work either.

I posted on the NXP forum about a day ago but have received no replies yet.

Please help!

Dan

Comments

• Greetings,

Have you done a search on our forums yet on this question? This is a popular question and you would have an answer in minutes.

What you need is a patch to update the DLLs in the Codewarrior software. The DLLs that come default on your Codewarrior install is only 32-bit compatible. This causes all of P&E's hardware not detectable in 64-bit and Windows 7 operating systems.

The patch can be found in my FAQ here:
    http://www.pemicro.com/faqs/faq_view.cfm?id=211

Takao Yamada

• Hi, 

It is still not working.

I went to Program Files(x86)/Freescale/CWS12v5.1/Prog and located the "unit_12z.dll" file. I changed the name to "unit_12z.dll.backup", as per the instructions.

I then copied all of the files in the patch archive (except the README file) and pasted them to Program Files(x86)/Freescale/CWS12v5.1/Prog. I was asked if I wanted to replace "ProKernelEn2.001" with "prokernelen2.001" and "ProKernelEn2.002" with "prokernelen2.002", which I did.

I then searched Windows/System32 for the "unit_12z.dll" file, but the search did not return any results.

I then tried to download code using CodeWarrior and received the same error message as before. I restarted the computer and tried again, without success.

I tried without voltage to the barrel connector and with 9V to the barrel connector.

Could it be the 9V I am supplying to the barrel connector? Does it have to be 12V? Can it be more than 12V?

Dan

• I connected a 12V 1A power supply to the barrel connector and it is still not working.

• Greetings,

I think this may be an issue of OSBDM not being supported on CW5.1. What you should try is installing CW10.x software from NXP and see if that works with your OSBDM connection.

OSBDM for Codewarrior 5.1 was not managed by P&E, so the design and firmware may not follow our API and specification to work with our DLLs, both old and the new patched versions.

If you had our multilink or cyclone hardware and attached it to the 6-pin BDM header on the board then you can use our DLLs to connect to the target.

Takao Yamada

• Hi,

I am new to NXP microcontrollers and am not sure what to do now. I installed CW5.1 because the software integration guide in the documents section of the DEVKIT-S12G128 webpage said to do so.

Can I program the DEVKIT-S12G128 with CW10.x without multilink or cyclone hardware?

Which particular version should I install, is it CW10.7?

Dan

• NXP have replied to my post on their forum and stated CWv10.x doesn't support S12G chips.

• Great, it is now working on my laptop too! Again no patch was required and I set the jumper on the board to 3.3V, but this time provided 9V to the barrel connector, and was able to download code to the DEVKIT-S12G128 without any problems!

So the problem was OSBDM not being supported on CWv5.1, as you indicated earlier. I see that even though the IDE versions are the same, the version of the CodeWarrior Development Studio that wasn't working was 5.1, build 10221, whereas the working version is 5.2, build 151201.

I've never been so happy to see an LED blink!

Thank you for all of your help Takao.

Regards,

Dan

• Greetings,

Wonderful! I forgot that CW10.x does not support HC12. I am glad you found CW5.2 and got it working smoothly without patching. If you ever do get P&E hardware and have issues connecting, do try the patch to see if it will resolve the problem.

Takao Yamada

• Yes I certainly will, and will definitely consider P&E for any future hardware requirements, the support on this forum is excellent. 

Thanks again,

Dan

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement