Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Prog12z secures XDP512 on erase
Paul H. Apr 19, 2016 at 06:36 PM (18:36 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• I've got Prog12Z v5.25.00.00, with USB Multilink v5.84.

Everything works, except for erase module, which secures the device.

The algorithm is Freescale_9S12XDP512_1x16x256k_512k_Linear_16k_page.12p.

I start Prog12z, connect, specify the algorithm, specify the object file, erase module, and get:
    Loading programming algorithm ... Done.
    Erasing. Module could not be erased.

And the status is "Executing command (Esc to abort)".

Using unsecure_12, I can confirm it's secured, then unsecure/erase it.

Back to Prog12z, connect, specify the algorithm, specify the object file. Now if I program module, it completes successfully. Verify module completes successfully.

Ideas?

With older versions of Prog12z and the same algorithm file this all worked fine.

Thanks.

Comments

• Greetings,

That is quite odd. We have not many changes to PROG12Z in quite awhile and this is the first time I have ever heard of this.

Does your object file secure the chip? Do you ever call the secure device (SD) command to secure the chip? Is the only time you ever secure the chip only happening when you erase for the first time?

This sounds like an algorithm issue and not software related as erasure is not really done by the software but instead a command that is called inside the chip by our algorithm.

Make sure that the algorithm you are using is not the same as the one you used in older versions of PROG12Z. You should always be using the latest version. Check if older and newer versions had different algorithm versions. Just open it in a text editor and read the first line.

Takao Yamada

• After working with it some more, if the code being loaded is crashing/reseting the processor, then every time the BDM will lock/secure the flash on every erase. 

If the code is running acceptably, then it still on occasion locks/secures the flash on the erase operation.

The object file does not secure the chip, it specifically sets the flash security register. If I run unsecure_12, it will tell me that the flash is unlocked.

The algorithm matches one I've had and used for years. And I checked the latest download from the website and the algorithm is the same still.

;version 1.05, 08/22/2004, Copyright P&E Microcomputer Systems, www.pemicro.com [9S12xdp512_512k]

My previous version of Prog12z, v1.70/1.71 didn't have this issue. I recently purchased a new copy, version v5.25.00.00, and between BDM updates, driver updates, and so on it has been a hassle so far.

• Greetings,

Do you still have the old version of the software to confirm that you did not have issues?

If you have a simple project that does not set the flash security register, do you still run into issues with lock/secure of the flash on erase?

Takao Yamada

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement