Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Clone memory of MC9S12XET256
Andres V. Feb 23, 2016 at 11:13 PM (23:13 hours)
Staff: Johnny N.

• Hello,
    I have USB Multilink-FX and need Prog12z to upload the complete flash and EEPROM memory of a MC9S12XET256MAL, with all the internal configuration registers that are in flash. Then I need to clone the whole memory content in a new microcontroller. Is Prog12Z the right tool? Which memory algorithms should I use?
    Many thanks.
    Andres

Comments

• Greetings!

Yes! PROG12Z and the USB-ML-UNIVERSAL-FX/USB-ML-UNIVERSAL are the right tools for you situation.

Within our PROG12Z software there are three algorithms to access the memory regions on the MC9S12XET256MAL:
    P-flash: Freescale_9S12XET256_1x16x128k_256k_Linear_Pflash
    D-Flash: Freescale_9S12XET256_1x16xmax16k_max32k_Linear_User_Dflash
    EEPROM: Freescale_9S12XET256_1x16xmax2k_max4K_EEPROM_linear_1k_page

The only concern is do you know if the flash on the board is secured. If security is enabled, access to the flash or eeprom via BDM is disabled and you will not be able to read anything. You have to erase it completely first.

Regards,
    Johnny
    P&E

• Hello Johnny,
      Thanks for your response. What would I get if I try to read a secured device? I mean, Prog12z will refuse to connect and read or I will get just garbage data?.
      I have tried to read the first 64K of memory with another basic programmer I have that is limited to this functionality only. I was able to get data in the flash sector that is the same from one reading to another performed one after the other. This suggests me that the device is not secured.
      Wait for your comments.
      Regards
      Andres

• Hi Andres,

If the device is secured, PROG12Z cannot connect to the device. If you can read it with another debug probe, then it would suggest that the device is not secured.

Regards,
        Johnny
        P&E

• Hi Johnny,

I have succesfully red and written the memory using Prog12Z. Now, I have some questions in order to do an exact copy of the whole memories:

a) Why there is no Pflash_user_IFR algorithm for 9S12XEG256 while there is one for 9S12XET256 (Freescale_9S12XET256_1x16x32_64byte_Pflash_user_IFR.12P), 9S12XEG128 (Freescale_9S12XEG128_1x16x32_64byte_Pflash_user_IFR.12P) and 9S12XEG384 (Freescale_9S12XEG384_1x16x32_64byte_Pflash_user_IFR.12P) May I use any of these algorithms in a 9S12XEG256?

b) How can EEE IFR information be read? According to the manual, EEE IFR is:
          "Nonvolatile information register located in the D-Flash block that contains data required to partition the D-Flash memory and buffer RAM for EEE. The EEE IFR is visible in the global memory map by setting the EEEIFRON bit in the MMCCTL1 register" Is this information already read with User_DFlash algorithms?

Regards,
          Andres

• Hi Andres,

a) The F-Flash IFR algorithm for the 9S12XEG256 and 9S12XET256 are the same. You can use Freescale_9S12XET256_1x16x32_64byte_Pflash_user_IFR

b) I don't know if our current D-flash algorithms set the EEEIFRON but in the MMCCTL1 register. Please submit a custom flash algorithm request and we will investigate this. If the current D-flash algorithms can't read the EEE IFR, we will generate a new algorithm for you.

http://www.pemicro.com/SRS/create_SR_flashAlgRequest.cfm

Regards,
            Johnny

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement