Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
How to use Convert.exe in commandline
Damien G. Mar 12, 2015 at 08:20 AM (08:20 hours)
Staff: Juan S.

• Hello,
    We would need to automate the conversion of an HEX file into S19 format, this means without having human intervention like a dialog box.
    How is it possible with Convert.exe (I found no help and /? does not work)?
    Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Greetings,

I am sorry no one has answered your question. Do you still need assistance?

Takao Yamada

• Hello,
      Yes, it would be great to have some help :)
      Thanks and regards.

• Greetings,

Sorry for the delay. Back in May I could not locate any Hex file to test out the utility before explaining how it works. Now I have found one from a customer that gave me a hex file.

All you do is open a command prompt by going to your Start Menu -> run -> cmd.

A DOS shell will open and you locate the utility using the usual "cd" commands. Then you can call the utility with a parameter of the path to your hex file. For example:

>convert.exe C:\myhexfile.hex

When you hit enter, a window should pop up to prompt you which file format to convert. There are 4 options:
    1) Motorola S (S19 file)
    2) Intel Hex
    3) MOS tech
    4) Tek hex

Most likely you want to select option 1 to convert your hex file into S19 file format to be used in our software and hardware tools.

Takao Yamada

• Hello,
    Thanks for taking some time, but our need is to make a conversion *without* having human intervention (like a dialog box). The purpose is to integrate it into some scripts.
    Thanks and regards.

• Greetings,

Looking at the source of this utility, it only reads the first parameter and always displays the dialog box to select the file type to convert.

Is there a reason to convert? Our tools should work with hex files.

I can look into updating this utility to work in command-line.

Takao Yamada

• The reason is to avoid updating our in-house ECU software reflasher (reprogramming some automotive ECU thru LIN bus). This one currently manages S19 files but not HEX. 
    We are using new microcontroller and the compiler generates HEX file. If can just add a command line in the IDE script to convert from HEX to S19, then it is good for us :)

• Is there a reason to convert? Our tools should work with hex files.

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement