Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
USB QORIVVA Multilink (Rev A) Works - USB Multilink Universal (Rev C) Fails
Alin P. Feb 7, 2015 at 02:46 PM (14:46 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• Hi,

We bought the USB Multilink Unversal (Rev C) and it fails to connect to our board whereas our older USB QORIVVA Multilink (Rev A) connects just fine. Both are using the latest download of your free "Starter" kit for MPC5xxx series.

The error is that the Universal can't connect to the target but in the status window it also is complaining about a double memory fault occurring (IVPR:IVOR13 and IVPR:IVOR14 not pointing to valid memory).

HOWEVER

If I connect up the older QORIVVA Multilink, it connects just fine and doesn't give me an error.

I've got some screen shots of both ICDs in action but I'm not sure how to post them.

Incidentally, we just bought the Universal a month or so ago...

Your help is much appreciated...thx!

Alin

Comments

• Greetings,

Did you make sure to install the CD that came with the multilink universal? In the CD you will find the firmware updater utility. Use this utility to change the firmware within the multilink to support different architectures. You need to change it to support QORIVVA.

If changing the firmware does not make a difference, try lowering the debug shift frequency.

Please let me know if you are using any custom ribbon cables, adapters, or other unique hardware.

Takao Yamada

• Hi Yamada,

Before posting on the forum, I did run the firmware updater utility from the CD (but I'll run it again). Is there some way to verify the version of the firmware installed on the Multilink? I also tried all of the shift frequencies but I'll try them again also.

Nope, only using your cables. The board of course is our board but it works fine with the QORIVVA.

I'll keep you posted...stay tuned.

...thanks!

Alin

• Hi Takao,

I just re-ran the firmware updater on the Universal for the MPC5xxxx and the firmware version it wants to update to is :

usbmlfsufjtagens.0928

While running the updater, it said :

Interface hardware detected with old firmware.
    Updating... (Please Wait)

Then after it was finished, it said it was successful. The message about "detected old firmware" made me wonder (because I know I had done this before) and so I re-ran it a second time immediately and the 2nd time, it also said that it "detected old firmware" even though I had just updated it 5 minutes before. So...is this just a bogus message or did the flash update really not work (even though it reported success)?

Thanks!

Alin

• Greetings,

Could you download the latest firmware update from here:
    http://www.pemicro.com/downloads/download_file.cfm?download_id=346

It seems you have an older utility. This has nothing to do with the utility giving you the message in question. This message you get is suppose to show up when a software detects old firmware and tries to auto update. SInce you are doing it manually, the same message is showing.

I am assuming you are still not successful in connecting? Are the blue and yellow LED turning on? Also make sure pin 1 is connected correctly on the multilink and on your board.

Could you tell me what version of ICD you are using and the chip you are trying to connect to?

Takao Yamada

• Hi Takao,

I updated to the latest firmware from the link you provided and will go over to the lab in a little bit and give it a try. But to answer your other questions:

1) Yes, the blue and yellow lights have always been turning on

2) I've got pin 1 connected properly on both the multilink and the board (confirmed by both PE Micro setup instructions and comparison to the older QORIVVA USB ICD which works fine)

3) The version of the USB Multilink ICD is Rev C if that is what you are asking (bought it from PE Micro a month ago)

4) I'm connecting to a MPC5554

5) You didn't ask but I'm using the latest 64K STARTER kit from your website for the MPC55xx series

I'll update you in a bit after I get to the lab and give the new firmware a try...

Thanks!

Alin

• Hi Takao,

Still doesn't work...I tried all shift frequencies also. Just to confirm everything else, I disconnected the MultiLink ICD and put on our old QORIVVA ICD and it all worked like a charm. Nothing else what changed.

What next? I can take pictures of anything you need visual on...just let me know how to attach them.

Thanks!

Alin

• Hi Takao...any thoughts as to what the next step is?

Thanks!

Alin

• Greetings,

Could you create a support request ticket (Support page -> support request) and give me screenshots of the firmware updater utility passing the update to the Qorivva firmware, and the problem you see in ICD.

Takao Yamada

• Hi Takao,

I added screenshots (SR 21802). Please let me know what the next steps are.

Thanks!

Alin

• Hi Takao...any thoughts?  Did the screenshots help? Think we might have a bad unit?

Thanks!

Alin

• Having exact same issues. Over $1000 spent in hardware and nothing works...

• Greetings,

I am helping you in a support request ticket right now. I will do my best to help you out.

Takao Yamada

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement