Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
ICDHCS08 Debugger Limitations
Paul M. Sep 13, 2014 at 02:17 PM (14:17 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• I have started to use the ICDHCS08 Debugger with the Multilink interface and am experiencing some limitations. First off, the debugger only seems to support a single breakpoint. As this may be because the HCS08 processor only supports a single breakpoint, when you have two or more breakpoints selected in the debugger, it honors none of them and doesn't break for any of them. This means that I forgot to disable the first one and I can see where all of the breakpoints are by selecting Windows/Breakpoints. But in this window, I can't select a breakpoint and delete it. I have to actually point the PC to a place at or before the breakpoint so that I can deselect it. It sure would be nice if I could deselect it from the Breakpoints Window. Then after deselecting the breakpoint from the program view window I then have to remember where my PC was before I moved it just for the purpose of deselecting the breakpoint. It is not likely to run from that location as it is out of context from where it was running and will most likely crash my program so I have to put it back. 

No another feature that I use quite often in my OpenWatcom debugger for the PC is the buttons for "step over" and "step out of". The Multiple Step button is quite useless because there is no way I can make any sense from following it because changes are too fast. What I really need is to step over and not trace through a JSR or BSR call (subroutine). If the debugger can truly can only support one breakpoint then it would be great if the debugger would clear the breakpoint and then set the breakpoint at the next sequential instruction so that the processor would make the call at full speed and then stop just after the return.

Also, the debugger has two code windows and, on mine, they show the same thing. Is there a way for the "Source" window to show my source assembly rather than just another disassembly window?

Comments

• If a microcontroller can only support one break point at a time then setting a second break point should implicitly clear the first. Having to lookup the break point makes me have to remember where the PC is before setting it to a place where the disassembler can see the break point so that I can clear it manually. Then I have to set the PC back to where it was before going on with my trace. This is a bit of a hassle.

• Greetings,

I will do my best to make your experience with our debugger a lot easier. All of this information can be found in our help file.
    (If you have issues viewing the help file, it is because Microsoft decided .HLP files should be reassigned to a different file extension. You can fix this by going to:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917607
    )

Breakpoints:
    There is an easier way to disable and enable breakpoints by using commands in the console. The syntax is "BR [ADDR]". Look at your breakpoint window and decide which breakpoint and at what address you want to disable. You can also enable breakpoints with the exact same syntax. You can disable all breakpoints by typing "NOBR".

Step Over/Out of:
    Each line in your code shows a blue arrow and a red dot to the left. The red dot is used to toggle breakpoints. But the blue arrow can be used to jump to that line. This can help you get to that line without setting a breakpoint and hitting "GO". It is very useful and does not use up a breakpoint.

Let me know if you have any other questions to make your life easier with our tools.

Takao Yamada

• Greetings,

Do you have any other questions or concerns?

Takao Yamada

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement