Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Can't debug in source mode
Bill S. migrated on Dec 31, 2013 at 11:00 AM
No staff assigned yet

• Hi all,

I'm just getting started with ICDPPCNEXUS. I have loaded my app but can only step in asm, can't see the source. How do I set it up to debug in source mode?

Thanks,

Bill

Comments

• QUOTE (b.shaw @ Aug 9 2011, 12:59 PM) [legacy comment]
    Hi all,

I'm just getting started with ICDPPCNEXUS. I have loaded my app but can only step in asm, can't see the source. How do I set it up to debug in source mode?

Thanks,

Bill

Additional info: after it loads up my file I see a warning - ELF file does not contain DWARF 2.0 debug_abbrev section.
    0 source lines in 0 files
    0 symbols defined
    0 object bytes loaded
    File loaded properly

I understand why I can't see my source, now the question is what can I do about it?

Thanks,

Bill

• Hi,

The warnings indicate that your ELF file is missing some DWARF 2.0 information. All our incircuit debugging software including ICDPPCNEXUS requires ELF / DWARF 2.0 compliant debug files for C source level debugging. Your current setup only allows you to see the disassembly. Your compiler should have the option to include DWARF 2.0 information. If the option is not available, you may have an older compiler that is not able generate this type of debug output. You will need to contact the compiler vendor if that is the case.

-Johnny
    P&E Technical Support

• QUOTE (Johnny @ Aug 9 2011, 03:16 PM) [legacy comment]
    Hi,

The warnings indicate that your ELF file is missing some DWARF 2.0 information. All our incircuit debugging software including ICDPPCNEXUS requires ELF / DWARF 2.0 compliant debug files for C source level debugging. Your current setup only allows you to see the disassembly. Your compiler should have the option to include DWARF 2.0 information. If the option is not available, you may have an older compiler that is not able generate this type of debug output. You will need to contact the compiler vendor if that is the case.

-Johnny
    P&E Technical Support

Upgrading to the latest Codewarrior version fixed the problem.

Thanks,

• QUOTE (b.shaw @ Aug 25 2011, 11:23 AM) [legacy comment]
    Upgrading to the latest Codewarrior version fixed the problem.

Thanks,

Hi b.shaw,

That is good to know. The latest version (for MPC56XX devices) is Codewarrior 10.1. What version were you using before?

-Johnny
    P&E Technical Support

• CW for MPC55xx is a bit different,  it's still in the pre-Eclipse IDE (thankfully!)  I was originally using V2.2, now am using V2.8,  both versions use IDE V5.9.

Best,

Bill

QUOTE (Johnny @ Sep 17 2011, 08:12 PM) [legacy comment]
    Hi b.shaw,

That is good to know. The latest version (for MPC56XX devices) is Codewarrior 10.1. What version were you using before?

-Johnny
    P&E Technical Support

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement