Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
search inside all forums
Multilink universal FX Rev A software updated to rev D
. May 30, 2020 at 11:47 PM (23:47 hours)
Staff: Gilbert Y.

• Hi,
    Recently I accidently update my multilink fx rev A to rev D. Previously it able to debug as normal to my board.
    After the software update, I am not able to debug as it say GDB error.
    Also the output of the VCC form the multilink port is 1.5V which is suppose 3V as my setting.
    In my debug setting, it still mention that Im connected to multilink rev A.
    Btw, Im using window 10 and KDS 3.0 as my interface.
    How do I need to solve this so I able to debug my board?
    Or any other that I should check or change?

thanks
    illa

Comments

• Hello Illa,

Can you describe how you updated your MultiLink? "Rev A" and "Rev D" refer to hardware revisions, so it would not be possible to change the revision through software. Did your MultiLink get updated through KDS or through our update utility?

Regards,
      Gilbert Y.

• Hi Gilbert Y.,

Actually Im not sure whether is already rev D or how. But through your update utility from the website it cause me not able to debug.
        This happen when I connect to new pc, and the driver cannot detect. So I go to website and get multilink_universal_install.exe and install.
        Then the multilink is detect but not able to debug.
        When I use back to my old pc, seems like it is not working as previous anymore.
        So now both pc not able to debug with my multilink fx.

Thanks for help,
        illa

• Hi Gilbert Y.,

Actually Im not sure whether is already rev D or how. But through your update utility from the website it cause me not able to debug.
    This happen when I connect to new pc, and the driver cannot detect. So I go to website and get multilink_universal_install.exe and install.
    Then the multilink is detect but not able to debug.
    When I use back to my old pc, seems like it is not working as previous anymore.
    So now both pc not able to debug with my multilink fx.

Thanks for help,
    illa

• Illa,

You can determine your hardware revision by checking the label on the backside of your MultiLink. It should say what revision it is on the top right corner of the label.

When you installed the MultiLink software, you should have created a folder path like this: C:\PEMicro\multilink_universal. When you say you updated your MultiLink, did you use the "PEFirmwareConfig.exe" tool? If so, did you select "ARM" as your architecture?

If the MultiLink is being detected by KDS but is unable to debug, there could be a few things wrong. First, please check that you have installed the correct drivers for Windows 10. You can follow this guide to ensure you are using the correct drivers: http://www.pemicro.com/faqs/faq_view.cfm?ID=229.

Second, you will want to make sure that you are using the latest PEmicro plug-in in KDS 3.0. In KDS, press "Help" in the top bar and click "Install New Software...". This will pop up a new window. Near the top of the window, there is a drop down box with the text "Work With" next to it. Please select the option "PEMicro - http://www.pemicro.com/eclipse/updates";. This will populate the middle part of the window with the latest updates if you do not have them installed already. Please select "GNU ARM PEMicro Interface Debugging Support" and press "Next" on the bottom right until you have reached the end of the installation process.

If you are still having issues getting debug after updating your drivers and KDS PEmicro plugin, please let me know.

• Hi Gilbert,

I have checked my multilink fx is rev A.

I didnot update my multilink using PEFirmwareConfig.exe.
        What happen is, when my kds not detect my multilink, I download multilink_universal_install.exe from pemicro.com and after install I able to see my multilink in kds. But it does not able to debug.

Fyi, Im using multilink to power my board for debug. I check the checkbox "Provide power to target".

After checking the first and second step that you mention, Im still not able to debug. I realized that the VDD output form multilink is not 3.3V, it is 1.3V.

It should be 3.3V output is it?
        Normally when the yellow led turn on, when I plug to my board it able to turn on my board led. But it is not happen.

Any other that I should take care of?

thanks.

• Hi Gilbert,

I just realize PEFirmwareConfig.exe that you mention is the same as multilink_universal_installer. exe.
          When I google PEFirmwareConfig.exe it will direct me to download, and the file name is multilink_universal_installer.exe.
          But when I click the exe file, it doesnot ask me to select ARM or any. It will install until finish without any popup window.

Yes, I use this exe file to make my multilink visible in kds

• The installer and the firmware configuration tool are not the same executable file. "PEFirmwareConfig.exe" can be found inside of the install folder that is created by "multilink_universal_installer.exe". The install folder typically is "C:\PEMicro\multilink_universal".

Please look for PEFirmwareConfig.exe inside of your installation location and attempt to update the MultiLink FX firmware to the ARM architecture.

The VCC pin should not be less than 3.3V if the appropriate jumper setting is made. Have there been any changes to your debug header on your target device? Is the target device you are debugging a evaluation board or a custom-designed board. What is the target device?

• Hi Gilbert,

I already update the PEFirmwareConfig.exe. Update the ARM architecture.
              But my debug still not working.

Fyi, I am using custom-designed board MK30D7. Port B in multilink fx is my interface to my board. The board is good and able to debug using the same multilink previously with old pc. Now the old and new pc not able to run debug my board using the same multilink fx.

I didnot change any debug header as the jumper is already in 3V position.

Where are you measuring the VCC voltage?
              Pin 1 and pin 20 PortB multilink fx. Reset pin 2 is 1.3V also.

Are you measuring on your target board or on the MultiLink FX header?
              Multilink FX header with no contact to target board but the yellow LED still on

Is this with the ribbon cable connected or disconnected?
              With and without ribbon cable. Same result 1.3V

illa

• Where are you measuring the VCC voltage? Are you measuring on your target board or on the MultiLink FX header? Is this with the ribbon cable connected or disconnected?

• Hi Gilbert,

I already update the PEFirmwareConfig.exe. Update the ARM architecture.
    But my debug still not working.

Fyi, I am using custom-designed board MK30D7. Port B in multilink fx is my interface to my board. The board is good and able to debug using the same multilink previously with old pc. Now the old and new pc not able to run debug my board using the same multilink fx.

I didnot change any debug header as the jumper is already in 3V position.

Where are you measuring the VCC voltage?
    Pin 1 and pin 20 PortB multilink fx. Reset pin 2 is 1.3V also.

Are you measuring on your target board or on the MultiLink FX header?
    Multilink FX header with no contact to target board but the yellow LED still on

Is this with the ribbon cable connected or disconnected?
    With and without ribbon cable. Same result 1.3V

illa

• Illa,

If the VCC voltage is measuring 1.3V without anything connected to your MultiLink, it sounds like your MultiLink may have gotten damaged at some point. It is unlikely that this damage was caused by the installation of our MultiLink software on our computer, as we do not change any on-board MultiLink software outside of the "PEFirmwareConfig.exe" and KDS debug sessions. Running the "multilink_universal_installer.exe" has no effect on the MultiLink.

The MultiLink FX rev A is one of our older revisions, so it is likely not under a warranty/return period. If you would like to purchase one of our newer MultiLinks to replace this one, you can buy one at a discount directly from our website if you follow this link:

http://www.pemicro.com/products/product_viewDetails.cfm?product_id=15320176&productTab=1

Our MultiLink trade-in program allows users to purchase a MultiLink at a discount if they send in a functioning OR non-functioning MultiLink to our office. For example, trading in a broken MultiLink FX allows you to purchase a MultiLink FX for $249 instead of $399.

• Hi Illa,

I just wanted to check in to see what action you took regarding you MultiLink. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Regards,
      Gilbert

• Hi Gilbert,
        Currently I am buying new multilink. But still waiting to receive.
        Thanks for your concern. If any problem occur, I will let you know.
        Thanks.

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEmicro account.

© 2021 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement