Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
search inside all forums
Some Multilink Universal Rev D devices are not working with 9.81, while others are...
Ira W. Feb 3, 2020 at 01:33 PM (13:33 hours)
Staff: Zahar R.

• Hello,

I am having difficulty connecting a batch of Multilink Universal debuggers (Rev D, F/W 9.81) to an ER48 development board. I do have other of these debuggers with the same H/W and F/W revision numbers that do successfully connect and program this board. I am running CW 6.3 on Win10 (yep). The relevant successful console output is below.

Loading Target ...
    Windows NT detected.
    P&E Interface detected - Flash Version 9.81
    Frequency change to ~0hz.
    Frequency change to ~68212hz.
    Frequency change to ~9909326hz.
    Frequency change to ~4412782hz.
    Device is 9S08ER48.
    Mode is In-Circuit Debug.
    IO registers loaded for MC9S08ER48 from C:\Program Files (x86)\Freescale\CodeWarrior for Microcontrollers V6.3\prog\REG\MCU107D.REG
    executing .\cmd\BDM_P&E_Multilink_CyclonePro_startup.cmd

Using the exact same setup, including the same ribbon and USB cables, the troubled batch of debuggers yield the console output below. Note that the frequency never changes from 0Hz whereas it does so with the working debuggers.

Loading Target ...
    Windows NT detected.
    P&E Interface detected - Flash Version 9.81
    Device is 9S08ER48.
    Mode is In-Circuit Debug.
    IO registers loaded for MC9S08ER48 from C:\Program Files (x86)\Freescale\CodeWarrior for Microcontrollers V6.3\prog\REG\MCU107D.REG
    Error: The debugger is currently not able to run
    due to loss of contact with hardware.
    No Link To Target

in>

Additionally, one of the trouble debuggers was automatically downgraded to 9.73 on a different PC, and it was able to successfully connect afterwards.

What else can I do, besides downgrading the firmware, to make these Multilink Universal debuggers (Rev D, F/W 9.81) work with my setup?

Thank you,
    Ira

Comments

• Hi Ira, 

Given the legacy status of Codewarrior 6.3, there are two things that can be done:

1. Downgrade the firmware and hope that it works with current version of IDE and run control .dlls.

2. Update the run control .dlls as well as firmware on the Multilink units to be compatible with Windows 10. This however, might break compatibility with IDEs that you might be using/running on older PCs.

On Windows 10 and faster PCs we did run into a USB firmware update/comunication issues which was addressed in latest firmware. It does require the update of the other files in CW6.3 layout to make it work.

Please submit a support request and we will get you up and running with one of the above described solutions.

http://www.pemicro.com/SRS/main_screen_staff.cfm?project_id=1

Best Regards,
    Zahar
    P&E

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEmicro account.

© 2020 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement