Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Multilink Universal with Kinetis MKV46F256VLL16 processor
Action19 . Jun 6, 2017 at 01:54 PM (13:54 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• Hello,
    Does Multilink Universal Interface USB-ML-Universal can be used for NXP Kinetis MKV46F256VLL16 processor?

I got connection error when trying to launch the Debug Configurations using Kinetis Design Studio. If it does work with, what would be the correct Interface and Port names in Kinetis Design Studio Debugger?

I appreciate your help.

Comments

• Greetings,

Yes, the device is supported in KDS and will work on multilink universal.

Are you using a custom board, or an evaluation board? Did you make sure to select SWD in debug configurations?

Is this your first attempt using KDS and multilink universal? Has the multilink worked on other projects, to rule out that the hardware is not defective?

Takao Yamada

• Hi Takao,

Are you using a custom board, or an evaluation board?
    I'm using a custom board, but wanted to test it with the board TWR-KV46F150M as well.

Did you make sure to select SWD in debug configurations?
    I don't have SWD option in debug configuration. The system detects automatically the following configuration: GDB PEMicro Interface/USB Multilink, Port/USB1-Multilink Universal Rev B (PE5655394).

Is this your first attempt using KDS and multilink universal? Has the multilink worked on other projects, to rule out that the hardware is not defective?
    Yes, this my first attempt using KDS and multilink universal. However, it did work with OpenSDA Embedded-USB Port Interface, Port/USB1-OpenSDA(5E301E03) using TWR-KV46F150M board.

Thanks,

• I want to directly program the processor MKV46F256VLL16 on the TWR-KV46F150M board through the USB-ML-Universal Interface first. And then later I can program my custom board which has the same processor.

• Greetings,

Create a brand new project within KDS for the KV46F256 and without making any changes to debug configurations try debugging your board. It automatically has "Use SWD protocol" checkbox checked. This should work without issue.

How are you powering up your TWR board? If by USB mini, remove the USB connection and reconnect again. Sometimes the OpenSDA takes ownership of the debug signals and when you use an external debugger it is being blocked.

Make sure you are connected to the 20-pin MCU JTAG, not the 10-pin connection for the K20 JTAG.

Takao Yamada

• I did what said. The "Use SWD protocol" checkbox is automatically checked. However I got the same error message.

• I'm powering up your TWR boar by USB mini and the 20-pin MCU JTAG is connected for the K20 JTAG. Not the 10-pin connection. I did remove the USB connection and reconnect it again, but I'm getting the same error.

• Greetings,

Maybe they changed in newer revisions of the TWR board, but the ones I have you need to connect to the 20-pin JTAG. It specifically says MCU JTAG, while the 10-pin connection has an arrow indicating K20 JTAG.

If you connected to the 20-pin, does it say the chip is secured? This indicates that you are indeed connected to the K20 which is the device that hosts the openSDA firmware, which should be programmed with security.

Takao Yamada

• I'm using the Port F - Mini 20-Pin JTAG of the USB-ML-Universal Interface connecting to the 20-Pin JTAG port of the TWR board.

• Greetings,

Any update on this? Were you able to find a solution? Are you still stuck?

Takao Yamada

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement