Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Communication Lost with BDM Cable
Dustin W. May 5, 2017 at 12:25 PM (12:25 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• In hiwave, I get a "Communication Lost with BDM cable" error after clicking Connect to my USB BDM Multilink Cable (USB-ML-12). 

I have a few BDMs available for me to test with, and just one is is able to connect and debug my Freescale HC12 chip.

I fear it is only a matter of time until I lose this last one.

-----------------
    What I have tried so far:

Here is a diff of the hiwave protocol log while trying to connect to the target. Bad BDM on the left ends with "No Link To Target", Good BDM on the right ends with "Target Ready". In both cases, the BDM is visible to windows and appears as a device in hiwave.
    https://www.diffchecker.com/OYcxdI58

I did read through the PE3306 - BDM Multilink Tech Summary document. Probing the BKGD and RESET pins, I do see the expected waveform and timing on the oscilloscope.

I know I am using old software to perform this task. My company's environment configuration locks me to using V4.5 of CodeWarrior on Windows XP, but I have some flexibility on the driver version.

However, the latest v12.4 BDM driver installer doesn't execute on windows XP. Manually installing the driver I did have some limited success. Windows and hiwave detected the BDM on driver v12.4, but then hiwave gave me incompatibility error messages and refused to even try to connect.

Lastly, I did read FAQ ID # 211, explains my issue well. I downloaded the patch for (S)12(X), but the files included do not seem to match the drivers included with CW4.5 or those installed by PEDrivers_install.exe: windrvr6.inf

I am not sure what to do with the patch.

Comments

• Greetings,

The patch I created will work on CW5.1 or 5.2 for HCS12 because I tested it. However I am not aware of CW4.5. The version of Codewarrior is found by going to C:\Program Files\Freescale\, not from looking at the help -> about.

If you follow the instructions of the patch and it still does not work, then there is no other solution we have to get your Codewarrior working.

Takao Yamada

• Sorry about that.  My CodeWarrior is v5.7.0 and my hiwave is version 6.1

I followed the patch instructions.
      - Saved my unit_12z.dll as unit_12z.dll.backup
      - Copied all patch files into C:\Program Files\Freescale\CW for HC12 V4.5\prog

Unfortunately, my hiwave is now crashing on launch. Yikes.

-------------
      Since I am stuck with Windows XP, what are my options?

I know that my USB-ML-12E BDM model has been discontinued, can I still submit for repair / replacement?
      If I purchase the new Universal Multilink, will it be compatible with my CodeWarrior on WinXP?

I notice on the Product Page for USB-ML-12, it recommends using a Universal Multilink and the patch from FAQ # 211. Since the patch is causing hiwave to crash on me, does that mean I am "out of luck" on using the newer Universal Multilink as a replacement?

• Greetings,

The Codewarrior version you have is version 4.5. You mentioned:
    C:\Program Files\Freescale\CW for HC12 V4.5\prog

This is how you find the real version number. Version 4.5 was not tested with this patch so I cannot guarantee it will work.

Our multilink universals are our direct replacements of the USB ML 12. It just supports more architectures. The firmware will be almost identical as well. The only changes you might need is getting the patch to work, but with your current unsuccessful attempts, this may be the hardest step. This may mean you are "out of luck".

We are completely out of USB ML 12; We cannot repair or replacement them anymore. Could you try downloading version 5.1 or 5.2 of Codewarrior and see if you can get the patch and current multilink working? The worst case scenario is having the last multilink die and not being able to work at all. You should take the proactive step now as a backup solution. Then there will be less headache.

Takao Yamada

• I received permission to use a Win7 machine. I just have to keep the same compiler revision.  The patch did work on my Win7 machine and my hiwave can see my BDM using the v12.4 BDM driver.

This did get some of BDMs working. I can now reach "Target Ready" after connecting. Great !

For the other BDMs that are still not working right. Can I assume that with the patch and driver working, I can now use the multilink universal?

• Greetings,

Yes, you should be able to get the multilink universal working with the patch in Windows 7. If it does not work, I will work with you to try to get it working or your money back.

Takao Yamada

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement