Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Debugging using Multilink Universal for MC5485 prcoessor
PREETU ABRAHAM K. Feb 7, 2017 at 07:00 PM (19:00 hours)
Staff: Mikhail A.

• Hi,

I am facing a issue to debug a coldfire processor for MC5485 (Coldfire 4e) as it throws an error " Programming algorithm is not present" .Whether there is an alternative algorithm or can the algorithm for MC5485 processor can be shared

"installed path\MCU\bin\plugins\support\ColdFire\gdi\P&E"

Comments

• Previously , this was the file used for XP machine and Codewarrior 5.3 but now in the recent code warrior 10.6.x ,I am not able to find any .cfp file similar to this  

;version 1.03, 08/16/2002, Copyright P&E Microcomputer Systems, www.pemicro.com
    ;device Intel, 28F256K18, 1x16x16meg
    ;device Intel, 28F256K3, 1x16x16meg
    ;begin_cs device=$00000000, length=$02000000, ram=$10000000
    BOUNDARY_MASK=FFFE0000/
    REQUIRES_PROG_VERSION=1.62/

• After using the above .cfp file ,I am getting an error

Starting 3rd party flash programming...
    ERR: Programming DLL C:\Freescale_Setup\CW MCU v10.6\MCU\bin\Plugins\support\coldfire\gdi\P&E\ not found.

• The Problem occurred Dialog box diplays

Failed to resume target process.
    ResetHalterror: Target reset failed

And it shows

Starting 3rd party flash programming...
    Err warning no programming algorithm present even though it has been seletced

• Greetings,

Within CW10.6 projects you can go to debug configurations -> Main tab -> edit connection -> ADvanced Programming Options -> Use alternative algorithms. Here you can select any algorithm you wish to use. You can even select the algorithm found in your CW5.3 directory. You can also check out our algorithms page to find more algorithms. Just go to Support page -> Flash Programming Algorithms -> ColdFire V2-4.

You should not be getting any errors that the \gdi\P&E\ folder not being found. Did you move your Codewarrior to a different location?

Takao Yamada

• Hi Takao,

I cam to know from one your members that flash programming is not supportive for coldfire processor to download option for debug using code warrior 10.6.x.So he suggested to use first program the target using a cprogz and then use connect for debug ,but the problem I am facing is after it enters debug mode for connect window it shows only disassembly window(may be since it starts with assembly language) and I am not able to keep breakpoints at source code line by line code

• Greetings,

Flash programming is supportive for internal flash. The MCF54xx devices are typically only external flash.

The reason why disassembly is showing and nothing else is because the debugger has not loaded any debug information into the debug session. It it to load an ELF file that has the table of source paths, global variables, and other information for the debug session to work properly.

In debug configurations, you should be able to modify it to load an ELF file and use that for debugging. If you are still having issues, clean and rebuild your project so that the ELF file has the correct source paths.

Takao Yamada

• Hi Takao,

So you are suggesting to use the Download option for Debug sot hat it loads the elf file .For Connect it does not have any option to load elf file

• Greetings,

No, do not use the download option which would attempt to load an algorithm, erase, and program the device. This is where you ran into problems.

Instead try creating a custom session. Just below you will have the option to select your ELF file and the checkbox to execute a reset sequence. This should take you to the beginning of your code. See if that works for you.

Takao Yamada

• I did try with custom option but I am not able to go any further since the step into, step over and run to line option does not work. I have placed the zip file showing the error in the Support ticket .If I use connect,it goes to disassembly window. I am not sure whether Coldfire 4e(mcf5485) is compatible with USB Multilink uinversal

• Thanks Takao, I will try to use the Custom option and check the execute a reset sequence button

• I did try with custom option but I am not able to go any further since the step into, step over and run to line option does not work. I have placed the zip file showing the error in the Support ticket .If I use connect,it goes to disassembly window. I am not sure whether Coldfire 4e(mcf5485) is compatible with USB Multilink uinversal

• Solved via Support Request.

Customer was trying to debug a FLASH ColdFire v4 project using CodeWarrior. Since PEMicro does not provide Coldfire flash support for CodeWarrior, we provided a solution using ICD by importing Codewarrior Linker settings.

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement