Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Communication failure with Multilink Universal in Sourcery G++ IDE
Todd K. Dec 15, 2016 at 05:09 PM (17:09 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• We have a system built around a ColdFire MCF52259.  The source code has been developed using Sourcery G++ (from Mentor Graphics).  We have two older "USB ColdFire Multilink" devices that are used with laptops running Windows 7 I believe.  These systems have no problems running in a "debug" mode using the USB ColdFire Multilink devices, allowing the engineers to step through their logic and so on.

I have a new Windows 8.1 computer and a new USB Multilink Universal. I am attempting to "debug" the exact same software using the same version of Sourcery G++.

When I attempt to start the debugger, I have an error dialog displayed that states "'Launching Debug' has encountered a problem. Error creating session." When I expand on the "Details" button, it displays the message "Error Creating session. Remote communication error: No error. Remote communication error: No error. Remote communication error: No error."

Some additional information displayed in the Sourcery G++ IDE "Console" window is "m68k-elf-sprite: error: Failed to initialize device
    warning: Remote failure reply: E.fatal. Failed to initialize device"

Any ideas as to why I don't seem to be able to communicate with my processor?

Thanks

Comments

• Greetings,

The newer multilinks requires newer support. 3rd party software use our DLL with our API to be able to support our tools into their software. You should contact the developers of sourcery to see if they have newer software to support the newer P&E hardware.

Other things to check is if you have the correct drivers. Use the following link to install our latest:
    http://www.pemicro.com/downloads/download_file.cfm?download_id=53

Is it possible to confirm that even on the new Windows 8.1 operating system, the older multilinks work? That way we can narrow down the problem to the new hardware.

Takao Yamada

• Greetings,

Any update on this?

Takao Yamada

• Takao,
      I have found that version 10.7 of CodeWarrior (by NXP) does support this device. I am currently testing an evaluation version of this software, but it does appear to work with the USB Multilink Universal.

I still do not know if any version of CodeBench (by Mentor Graphics) supports this device.

I have found at least one other IDE that supposedly support this device as well. Green Hills Software has a product called "Multi IDE".

At this time I think we can consider this issue closed with respect to P&E Micro. Thanks for your help.

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement