Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Programming Implement Difference Between P&E Multilink and Lauterbach Tool
Hong Ping X. Oct 9, 2016 at 04:06 AM (04:06 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• My customer had bought the USB-ML-UNIVERSAL (rev. C, blue box) from P&E website for their ECU manufacturing.
    First case is based on NXP/Freescale MPC5676R (Cobra 90), the product engineer used Lauterbach to erase/program for their ECU. Once in a while, the Lauterbach tool cannot do Flash erase/program operation properly, but the P&E Multilink can.
    Second case is based on NXP/Freescale MPC5644A (Andorra), the phenomenon is just the opposite as above. Erase failed with P&E Multilink, but the Lauterbach tool works properly.
    My customer want to know the different programming implement between P&E Multilink Universal and Lauterbah tool.
    Hope to get the feedback from you. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Greetings,

Lauterbach and P&E are completely different companies, in fact we are competitors. Here at P&E we have never used Lauterbach tools so I have no idea how their tools work.

But what I can do for you is fix the problem for the MPC5644A.

Usually for erase the issue is a problem of power or communication. Try lowering the debug shift frequency when you connect to your target. Also try increasing the reset delay of roughly 200ms. This should resolve most communication problems.

What software are you using, so I understand your setup better?

Takao Yamada

• Thanks for you reply.
    Actually, we had already remider our customer to insert 200ms delay time and decrease the communication frequency. The sympton shows connection OK, the MPC5644A algorithm load properly, but failed in erase process at address 80000 or 92000. Power supply also be checked, it OK.
    But Lauterbach tool erase/program no issue.

• Greetings,

Which algorithm was selected? Give me the exact file name. Using the wrong algorithm can also cause erasing to fail.

Are you using any kind of custom ribbon cable, adapter, external watchdog, or extra circuitry between the P&E interface and the board? Any extra hardware can cause a drop in voltage, which is a key problem in erasing. Also having a watchdog reset the chip can also cause problems in erasing or programming.

Takao Yamada

• Hi,

The algorithm file is Freescale_MPC5644A_1x32x1024k_Freescale_C90FL2_Driver_045.PCP.
    All the operation is based on customer ECU board, no external watchdog chip and the supply voltage is stable on erase phase.

• Greetings,

I have updated the algorithm last year. See if you can use the newest algorithm with the same setup and see if it improves your setup:
    http://www.pemicro.com/downloads/download_file.cfm?download_id=422

If you continue to have problems, the next thing to do is getting an oscilloscope and monitoring first the reset and VDD lines. Then the TCK, TDI, TDO, and TMS lines to see if any of them does not toggle at all.

Takao Yamada

• Greetings,

Any update on this?

Takao Yamada

• Hi,

Customer only find one erase / program failure case.
    Unfortunately, when customer ask for us to verify on our socket board, the defective chip has been broken and can’t communicate at all. Our factory feedback is the defective unit to be sever delamination and no more test could be proceeded.

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement