Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Reduced Jtag/BDM interface on Coldfire V2/V3/V4.
LG J. Jun 6, 2016 at 03:14 AM (03:14 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• Hello,
    I would like to use USB-ML-UNIVERSAL on a new design with a Coldfire V2 microcontroller.

My question is : Do I need to implement the 26-pin connector of BDM interface or can I just use a 10-pin connector with only the JTAG interface ?

Thanks.

Comments

• In other words, is it possible to use a reduced connector with only the 10-pin of JTAG interface instead of 26-pin connector of the JTAG/BDM interface on MCF52223 ?
    Thanks.

• Greetings,

I think this thread will answer your question:
    https://community.nxp.com/thread/12442

Takao Yamada

• Thank you for your answer.

It help me to understand how the JTAG/BDM inerface works.

But I want to know if the USB-ML-UNIVERSAL will communicate well with the microcontroller if I implement only the 10 first pins of the 26-pins connector.

Thanks.
      JHLG.

• To add a few comments:

We always recommend using the PST signals (PSTALL or PST0-3) where possible, even though we give the capability not to use them in certain products. The signals you need are :

BKPT, DSCLK, DSI, DSO, Reset, PSTALL or PST3:0, TVCC, GND, and TA/TEA if available.

If you are using an MCF5206E or MCF5272, you need the PSTCLK signal as well (usually this is not the case).

If you target has a PSTALL signal, you can connect this to all four PST3-0 lines on the Multilink.

I use MCF52223 so I don't need the PSTCLK signal.
          JHLG

• Greetings,

If you read the multilink universal reference manual, you can read chapter 5 called startup reset sequence. Here you can see what signals are used to enter background via JTAG.

Concerning PST lines:
    http://www.pemicro.com/blog/index.cfm?post_id=58

My only worry TEA line, which is used to monitor external bus activity and recover from bus errors. Some chips have it, some do not.

Takao Yamada

I understand that the PST pins are optionnal, isn't it ?
      JHLG.

• I will try to conclude.
    PST lines are recommended but can be disabled in the connection assistant.
    So can i implement my connector like the following one ?
    _____
    | |
    NC|1 2|BKPT
    GND|3 4|DSCLK
    GND|5 6|TCLK
    RSTI|7 8|DSI
    +3.3|9 10|DSI
    NC|11 12|NC
    NC|13 14|NC
    NC|15 16|NC
    NC|17 18|NC
    NC|19 20|NC
    NC|21 22|NC
    NC|23 24|NC
    NC|25 26|NC
    |_____|
    Thanks.
    JHLG.

• Greetings,

Again, my only worry is TE/TEA line on pin 26 if it exists on your chip. If your chip hits a bus error or is stuck in a state, then you will have troubles being able to recover. If that is fine with you, then go right ahead and implement what you have proposed.

Takao Yamada

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement