Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Communications with the target failed !
pierre l. Apr 21, 2016 at 05:56 AM (05:56 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• Hello !

I'm using a FlexRay Evaluation Board from ON-Semiconductor (NCV73810V2GEVB).

I want to program the MC9S12XF512MLM microcontroller which is embedded with CodeWarrior V.5.1 and the USB-ML-UNIVERSAL debugger from PEmicro.

The situation is :

1. Leds on the board are ON, blue and yellow leds on the USB-ML-UNIVERSAL are also ON.

2. I click on debug

3. Connection Manager appear

4. I chose "Autodetect communications speed", click on refresh (USB1 : USB Multilink Rev C (PEMA17837) is now detected), and click on "Connect(Reset)"

5. After maybe 500ms leds on board goes OFF and the yellow one on USB-ML-UNIVERSAL too. The following error message appear :
    HI-WAVE
    The Debugger can not connect to the P&E BDC interface or targetted hardware board.

5. I click on "OK" and a new Connection Manager window appear (leds are still on the same mode than in the section 5. )

6. I click on "Connect(Reset)" and the following error message appear :
    HI-WAVE
    Communications with the target failed :
    The target MCU has no clock or wrong BDM clock speed is used or derivative is secured.

7. I click on "OK" and the following warning message appear:
    Warning
    Loading a new application will stop the execution of the current one.
    (I don't if it's useful for you to know everything which happends...)

8. I click on "OK" and a new message appear :
    LOADER WARNING
    The debugger is going to mass erase the non volatile memory(eeprom and flash) of the current device, then program the application

9. I click on "OK" and a window appear "NVW Erasing and Programmation Arming". At 33% the following error message appear :
    Non Volatile Memory Control
    Error while loading diagnostics algorithm to target system.
    The chip may be secured, or the derivative selected may be wrong.

10. I click on "OK" and a new error message appear :
    NVM Programmation
    This operation has been canceled.

My program is the following: (just in case it could help you)

#include <hidef.h> /* common defines and macros */
    #include "derivative.h" /* derivative-specific definitions */

#include "mc9s12xf512.h"

void main(void) {
    /* here I just want to blink a led :'( */

DDRP_DDRP7 = 1;
    RDRP_RDRP7 = 0;

PTP_PTP7 = 1;

EnableInterrupts;

for(;;) {
    _FEED_COP(); /* feeds the dog */
    } /* loop forever */
    /* please make sure that you never leave main */
    }

Thank you very much for your help.

Pierre

Comments

• Greetings,

Both LEDs on the multilink must stay on during the whole entire time. The Yellow LED indicates power being detected on the board. Somehow your board lost power and the multilink no longer can talk to the chip. You need to investigate why this might be happening. The problem could be the board, or the problem could be in the multilink.

1) Has this setup worked in the past? Or is this your first attempt?

2) Do you have a schematic? If so, start looking at the BDM connection and find out if anything is connected on the BKGD and RESET lines. If so, let me know what they are. Things like watchdogs and current-limiting resistors can cause problems when the multilink is trying to communicate to the chip.

3) Do you have any unique setup like custom ribbon cables, not connecting all the pins on BDM, custom adapters, USB isolators, USB hubs, virtual machines, etc?

Takao Yamada

• Thank you for your answere.

1) This my first attempt.

2) You can find the schematic here : http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/NCV73810V2GEVB_SCHEMATIC.PDF

3) I use the original setup.

Pierre

• Greetings,

The BDM looks fine. You will need to investigate the power on your board.

a) What happen if you push and hold the reset button on your board while the multilink is connected. Does the yellow LED turn off? If not, is the LED only going out if you attempt to connect in CW?

b) What happens if you disconnect the multilink and hold down the reset button? Measure the voltage on VDD to GND and see if it is zero. If so, then there is a problem on the board and not on the multilink? Then repeat the test with the multilink connected.

By the way, I highly suggest you update your Codewarrior by using my patch. It has the latest firmwares and software DLL's:
    http://www.pemicro.com/faqs/faq_view.cfm?id=211&menu_id=faqs

Takao Yamada

• Thank's again for your answere !

a) When I push and hold the reset button with multilink connected, the yellow LED turn off.

b) When the multilink is disconnected and I hold down the reset button, the led on the board turn off. The voltage on VDD to GDN is zero. With the multilink connected, when I hold down the reset button, the voltage is zero too.

Pierre

• Greetings,

Well there is your problem. The reset line is somehow powering off your whole entire board. Reset is usually used to reset just the chip and should be separate from VDD. Without power obviously that means your chip will not be powered and you will not be able to talk to it. The moment those LEDs on the board go down you cannot continue.

What the multilink does is pull reset and BKGD low while VDD is still high. But if VDD also goes low then nothing will work.

You will need to do your own investigation as to why this is happening.

Takao Yamada

• Hi Takao !

Thank you for your help.
    I found the problem. The person (in my compagny) who gave me the board, just forgot the jumper. And in ON-Semiconductor, the datasheet are not very usefull and pretty paltry. It was only looking on a picture of the board that I found that jumper was missing !
    I'm a beginner too so it doesn't help ;)

So if someone have the same problem than me, just connect the J40, J30 and J23 (1-2) jumpers and it'll work...

Thank you again,
    Pierre

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement