Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
NXP S32 Support
Trent W. Mar 10, 2016 at 04:12 PM (16:12 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• I'm currently working on an NXP S32K144 device and will soon be working on the the M4 core of the NXP S32V234.  Will the Multilink FX work with both?  What benefits are there to using the Multilink versus OpenSDA?  I assume speed is a big factor.  Thanks for the help!

Comments

• Greetings,

Yes Multilink FX will work with both.

OpenSDA is a hardware interface that is embedded on specific boards. It only works on that board and it is limited in speed. OpenSDA is usually only found in demo and evaluation boards.

The multilink FX uses the JTAG or SWD to connect to your target externally and not embedded on a board. This allows you to use it on demo and evaluation boards, then use it when you prototype your own board in the future , and even be used in production. OpenSDA does not have this ability because it is stuck embedded on the demo board.

Takao Yamada

• Perfect!  Thank you Takao.  

I have a couple of follow up questions.

1. Are there different hardware revs/versions of the Multilink FX and, if so, is there a version dependency when working on an NXG S32 device? For example, do you have to have the latest hardware for compatibility with the S32 or is it all in the firmware?

2. How does the Multilink FX work on a multi-core device like the S32V234? Does it work with all the cores (A53s and M4) via a single physical connection to the target. If so, is it as simple as just specifying which core in the IDE (S32 Design Studio) debug settings? Thanks again!

• Greetings,

1) You can use any hardware that will support the ARM architecture. This includes the revision A or B of multilink FX.

2) There is one physical connection to the target. Within the S32 IDE when you create a project you will be given a project per core. When you run a debug session, you would do a "group launch" debug where it will launch multiple debug sessions for each project/core in the group. You can run, step, breakpoint each core independently.

Takao Yamada

• Greetings,

Do you have any other questions or concerns?

Takao Yamada

• Hello,

I have acquired a Multilink FX and have been using it for a couple of days. The speed improvement is definitely noticeable as compared to the OpenSDA. I do have some questions although they may not belong in this forum.

1. I'm using NXP's S32 Design Studio (a spin-off of Codewarrior) Version 1.1 build 151217. So far, I've not found a way to reset the target while in a debug session. I'm currently stopping the debug session and then re-starting. All other debugging environments I've worked with have had a way to reset the target/application without exiting the debug session. Any thoughts on that?

2. I'm using the NXP Freedom dev board for the S32K144 currently. It has the OpenSDA debugging interface, which is what I was using prior to getting the Multilink FX. One think that is useful with the OpenSDA is the virtual serial port. I'm using it as a debug port as this board does not include another serial port. Since I need this debug port, I'm connecting both OpenSDA and the Multilink FX to my board. I have the board jumper set to get power from the OpenSDA connection and the Multilink FX jumper set to not supply power to the target. Are there any concerns/issues you know of with this approach?

Thanks!

Stacey

• Greetings,

1) You should look into the "restart" option. It is found in S32 IDE. This will restart the debug session as if you reset the chip.

2) From my experience with the Freedom boards, you should be able to do both. When you start a debug session, just make sure you select multilink instead of OpenSDA and you should be set.

Takao Yamada

• Thank you again for your feedback.  Regarding the reset, the only "restart" I'm finding is under the file menu and it actually kills S32 DS and restarts it.  It's then necessary to restart debugging.  When I suspend a debug session, there is no reset or restart in the Run menu.

Stacey

• Greetings,

Sorry, not that restart. While in the debug perspective, you should see to the left of the debug button (the little green bug icon) the restart button looks like a green arrow pointing to the right with a yellow arrow looping to the left. I do not know why it is not in the Run menu.

Takao Yamada

• Greetings,

Were you able to restart the debug session with ease? Do you have any other questions or concerns?

Takao Yamada

• No.  The reset does not work for me.  PC does not change and I get the console output below:

GNU gdb (GNU Tools for ARM Embedded Processors) 7.8.1.20141128-cvs
    Copyright (C) 2014 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
    License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>;
    This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
    There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. Type "show copying"
    and "show warranty" for details.
    This GDB was configured as "--host=i686-w64-mingw32 --target=arm-none-eabi".
    Type "show configuration" for configuration details.
    For bug reporting instructions, please see:
    <http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/bugs/>;.
    Find the GDB manual and other documentation resources online at:
    <http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/documentation/>;.
    For help, type "help".
    Type "apropos word" to search for commands related to "word".
    monitor preserve0 0
    monitor selectcore 0
    Warning: the current language does not match this frame.

Temporary breakpoint 5, main () at ../Sources/main.c:65
    65    INIT_ColdInit(); // Cold Init
    No breakpoint number 6.

Program received signal SIGINT, Interrupt.
    0x20002e9e in LPUART_DRV_GetReceiveStatus (instance=1, bytesRemaining=0x0) at C:/Freescale/S32SDK_EAR/platform/drivers/src/lpuart/fsl_lpuart_driver.c:473
    473   {
    monitor _nobr
    flushreg
    Register cache flushed.
    tbreak
    Temporary breakpoint 7 at 0x20002e9e: file C:/Freescale/S32SDK_EAR/platform/drivers/src/lpuart/fsl_lpuart_driver.c, line 473.

• Greetings,

When I use it, I have no issues restarting. I do not know what you are doing differently that is not getting you to quickly reset. You are hitting the restart button I was mentioning about, right? Were you able to find the button?

Takao Yamada

• Yes, I am able to find the button.  Thanks for your help.

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement